Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Much for Working From Home!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 355 Total Views

I just got laid off. And my husband's office is closing, so he'll be out of work in a few months. One spouse out of work is a challenge, but both of us out of work in this economy might be insurmountable. Plus, we're leaving for vacation in the morning--so spending money we now won't have and keeping me from looking for another job for a week.

crying

Jen
Mom to Emma, 12, Wyatt, 9, and baby Sofia...

babies

Group Owner Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice
Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kari78
by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Oh NO Jen, I am so sorry!!  That is royally sucky...and what terrible timing, right before your vacation.  Now it'll be hard to really enjoy yourself.  :-(  My dh was laid off for 4 months and just recently got a job, and the company I work for has been laying people off left and right...I'm nervous too.

I hope you somehow still get to relax on your vacation, and that you find a job even better than the one you have now!  Not likely I know, but no harm in hoping...

JenE4
by Group Admin on Jun. 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM

What's better than getting paid a lot to work from home with my kids?! lol. I knew it was too good to be true--especially all the days there was no work and I was getting paid for doing nothing...guess the writing was on the wall!

I have 9 years' experience in educational publishing and 4 years in entertainment publishing as a copyediting manager and writer, so shout-outs if anyone knows of any openings in publishing either in NJ or telecommuting from anywhere!

Anyway, I'll be away for the next week. Thankfully we got the meal plan in Disney World so everything is paid for in advance!

Oh, and I didn't mention I also got this crazy skin infection that looks like chicken pox and I have to be on antibiotics (topical and oral) for a month! Crazy!

Anyway, I'll try not to think about it and just relax and enjoy the time with my family!

Jen
Mom to Emma, 12, Wyatt, 9, and baby Sofia...

babies

Group Owner Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice
Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM

UPDATE: I MIGHT still get to work from home! I have an interview in the morning for another position that would be telecommuting--and it's just the perfect fit for me and my experience and interests. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

nerdy

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 9; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner
Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice

HardLuckSabra
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I will be praying for you! If this health care reform doesn't get straightened out I may be out of a career period. I can't imagine doing anything else. Unless there is a job that pays me to just sit at home and be a mom?! Good luck!

JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Thanks, Sabra! I'm sure things will work out fine for you; the reform won't replace private healthcare organizations. If anything, maybe it would create more work getting everything up to standard. But good luck!

The interview today went really well. They will be scheduling a second interview, the next step in the "lengthy hiring process." I'm not sure how long the process is--or how many steps there are, but I'm feeling pretty confident about it so far.

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 10; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner

Mommy_Carebear
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Good luck!  Being able to stay home and bring in a little money has been the best ever and I hope you can keep doing it, and if you are bringing home more than a little that's even better!  How is your husband's job situation going?

Mommy_Carebear
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Quoting HardLuckSabra:

I will be praying for you! If this health care reform doesn't get straightened out I may be out of a career period. I can't imagine doing anything else. Unless there is a job that pays me to just sit at home and be a mom?! Good luck!

I would much rather just "sit at hom" and be a mom and get paid too!  :)  Too bad it doesn't pay in ways that can pay bills. 

JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

It was bringing in a lot, a regular full-time job. I'm in an industry where I could freelance (and bring in a little, lol), but I really need the steady, full-time job. My husband doesn't know yet when his office is closing. He's spoken to two former colleagues who have approched him about positions in their current companies, so he has options. We're just not sure what we'll do next. We had a plan all along for him to work two more years in IT to finish saving up money and then he'd quit, go back to school, and become a therapist. This was all contingent on me still having my full-time job from home (so we wouldn't have to pay for daycare). Now if I get this other full-time job from home, we'll be set. Maybe he'll even just "go down with the ship" and stay at his current job as long as possible, get his severance pay, and then go back to school next fall instead (which is what I say he should just do). But he'll probably get a new job and work for two more years (he likes to over-plan and over-save, lol). However, if I DON'T get this other work-from-home job and I have to put Sofia in daycare, unless I get something that pays significantly more (doubtful since I'm already at the high range for my industry), he might have to work even longer before going back to school. Were you able to follow all that? lol. I guess my point is, I'm sure it will all work out fine. We're just not sure what the short-term (few months/year) next steps will be, but we're still working toward the same long-term goal.

Quoting Mommy_Carebear:

Good luck!  Being able to stay home and bring in a little money has been the best ever and I hope you can keep doing it, and if you are bringing home more than a little that's even better!  How is your husband's job situation going?

Jen

Group Owner

laidybug
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Contact me for more information on starting your own home-based business with the Pampered Chef. It is an easy way to make an extra income, make your own hours, be your own boss and most importantly be home with your kids more.

No experience necessary. Online training is provided and monthly team meetings offer additional training and support. You always have a team behind you for support and help.

Add me as a friend if your interested in finding out more about this wonderful opportunity.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Hope you all find something soon.

Take Care God Bless.

JenE4
by Group Admin on Sep. 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I had my second interview today. It went really well, and I have my third (and I think final, lol) interview tomorrow!

Jen

Group Owner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)