Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have a babysitter at home while they work?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 361 Total Views

Just wondering!  I do for 3 hours in the morning, and lately my kid hasn't been wanting to play with her...he asks for me and cries if I don't come downstairs.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Hey, Kari. Like I mentioned in the PM, I think it's just Liam's age. At a year and a half, he's not going to want anyone but mommy! Is there any way she can bring him someplace else for those 3 hours: a park, her house?

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 9; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner
Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

HardLuckSabra
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM

The few times that I have had someone keep an eye on Kieran while I worked it didn't work out. It was actually more stressful! I plan to find some other moms in my area that stay home to trade off with. I think Kieran would enjoy the play time with other children and I would get some uninterupted work completed.

Mommy_Carebear
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I used to have my 2 older kids help watch and play with her while I worked, but now that they are back in school I have my 10 month old barricaded in with me in my office with a bunch of toys.  A lot of the time she will end up at my chair and I'm afraid I'll run her over, so if she isn't interested in playing on the floor I'll put her in her playpen for awhile.  We play off and on through the day and I take breaks to feed her.  Work takes me way longer to do then it should but I'm so happy I get to spend all this time with my baby.  Your child may be older and not happy with only one room to run around in, but so far it is working ok for me.  Good luck. 

MommyId
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:36 AM

My kids are older now, but when they were that young I jsut waited for nap time.  That gave me the 2 hours you are talking about and then we spent the rest together.  When they got a little older, then sesame street gave me an hour and nap time the other hour.

Most of the time I get a lot of work done before they get up.

Kari78
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Hi Jen (and everyone else)!  Well, she does take him to the park (which is w/in walking distance) for an hour or so after she first gets here.  After that, they generally get hot and come back inside.  So I get one hour of peace anyway, lol.  Today was actually a lot better!  I know it is his age, mainly (he's 18 months), but I've had a sitter for the past year or so (well, several different ones), and it's not always like this.  This has just been going on for a week or so.  It comes and goes, and always happens with teething, but as far as I can tell the teething isn't bad right now.

I work full-time, so I can't get everything done in just his nap-time and Sesame Street time (which he does love!)...and he's OBSESSED with the computer, so I can't have it near him for too long. But one of my real reasons for having a sitter is that I just get too impatient with him and grouchy if I don't have at least some time to myself during the work day.

I've thought about having a sitter who could take him to her house, but I don't know, I'm not really comfortable with that yet.  I guess for right now I'll just keep hoping it gets better again!  Thanks for the advice :-)

JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I suppose I've just been lucky that Sofia is good about entertaining herself. We have the open living room/dining room area with a kazillion toys and her shows on TV, and I work either on the couch or at the dining room table. The noise of the TV or her playing doesn't distract me. It's only when I've had phone call meetings that I have to sequester myself away from her, lol. But, if I get the job where I can continue working from home, I'm going to look into finding a nursery school or part-time daycare. It's not really for my benefit, but rather for hers. She seems like she's getting bored and unhappy being stuck in these two rooms all the time, so I think it would do her a ton of good to get out and interact with other kids. But, as I saiud, all dependent on the job sitation. She might end up in full-time care if I go back to working outside the home.

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 9; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner
Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

Kari78
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Yeah, I think Liam would really like to get out and play with other kids, too!  I'd like to wait until he's 2, and then they have a "playschool" thing in the mornings at our health center.  But right now I'm too anal about certain things...I just can't stand not knowing if his diaper is wet (which must be changed immediately!), and he also still needs to nurse in the mornings sometimes.  I think 2 will be a good age, though!  Hopefully he'll have decided to use the potty all the time by then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)