Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This County needs help

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 422 Total Views

Due to the Devastation that happened in Schoharie county I am collecting everything and anything I possibly can by September 22nd. A lot of people lost homes, entire towns COMPLETELY underwater. Homes were washed away and all that was left was Debri, mud, and broken up pieces of road. I have a few pictures on my profile for those that want to check it out. There are shelters in need of blankets, pillows, sheets, personal hygene items, food, water, toys, books, decks of cards to occupy people, medication such as tylenol, asprin, preperation H, and so much more... any and all clothing and shoes and all those necesities are needed. If you would like to donate money instead do NOT donate to the Red Cross as the money will go to Albany county and they decide where it goes from there. Instead PLEASE donate to SCCAP their number is 518-234-2568 or you can donate to Catholic Charities 518-234-3581 BOTH of these places will give the money straight to Schoharie county directly. Even if all you have is 5 dollars that is better than nothing. Those that live close or that want to send things to myself or give me things to bring up please let me know. I will meet anyone close to take any and all items and anyone who wants to send me items I will split the cost of shipping either to myself or directly to the Shelter. Thank you all so much in advance!!! If you can't help all I ask for is Prayers for those up there who are trying to rebuild and who are going through such tough times. Thank you all
 Pictures posted on Facebook, some anyway: http://www.facebook.com/#!/Jessiccaslater1986    the site about Schoharie county is as follows: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Schoharie-County-NY-Emergency-Services/145245731287

*** School supplies are needed as well, schools lost everything as well as parents who bought school supplies for their children*** Please all help

by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mom_of_two_1986
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I have talked to a few people and wanted to share one story, thank you all for who are already praying for these people:

Story one: I talked to someone from back there and she was telling me her story I thought I would share with everyone.  She started here.  I heard the Dam sirens go off and not a minute later I got a call from my husband. He told me to get out quick that they released the Dam to allow for more water so the Dam wouldn't break. I grabbed the bookbags we had packed and my granddaughter and as we walked out the door my husband was pulling in the drive way telling me to get in. As we pulled out we stopped at my father in laws to help him out of his house. I looked to the left and all I could see is a wall of water coming at us quick I yelled to my husband and he hoped back in the truck, by the time he put it in drive water was coming in the door to the vehicle. My granddaughter yelled Memaw there's water... my husband threw the truck in reverse and tried to back all the way up where there was no water but half way up the driveway the vehicle stalled. water was up to the windows and we decided we had to make a swim for it. My husband got out and took our granddaughter and swam to shore, I got out and swam the current was pulling me hard to the left and I swam with everything I had to the right and toward shore. I grabed onto the fence and was trying to pull myself over but everytime I lifted up my leg the water was just taking me down. Right then I realized why people just give up in situations like these, I pulled the last of my strength and got over. At this time and point I had lost my shoes and so had my granddaughter. As I stared at the mountian we had to climb to escape the waters I told me husband lets go. He carried our granddaughter on his back and i went up barefoot. there were prickers and thorn buses that covered the moutain and I didn't feel a thing I just knew that I had to get up that mountain. We finally reaced the road and flagged down help who gave us a ride to where we were gone and my husband left to get the fire department to get his father out of his house. I didn't feel my legs or feet until the next day they were all scratched up and even today i have thorns in my skin that i have to get out. My father in law was stuck in the top story of his house for 8 hours, he talked to me about his experiance. Our 3 cars hit his house and many of our items from the pole barn hit his house. Thankfully the firfighters got him out because his house is no longer standing.

This lady I know is still picking thorns out she says the county is in total devistation, there were over 100 houses that washed away. people lost everything They are in need of everything. towns have to rebuild from the ground up. If you can't or wont take my word on it, look up Schoharie county hurricane Irene or Middleburgh hurricane Irene or take a look at my facebook page. all links are up there. Please these people need help, any and all things will help.. Dollar tree items a 5 dollar donation. Prayers are always welcome and wanted as well. Thank you all for hearing me out.

othermom
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Do you know of an address to send items to instead of money? I am sure I have some extra items, shampoo samples, ect that I can send if there is an address to mail to.

Mom_of_two_1986
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I have not been given address' directly but have been given numbers of places to get address's  I will list the numbers or if you would like you can send me all items because I am bringing all donations I collect to Schoharie County the 23rd of this month.     We are accepting donations of school supplies, clothing and money for those in Schoharie County who were affected by the flood. The following business will be accepting the donations:

Smith’s Collision, Route 20 Sloansville
and
.........Polka Dots, Granite Drive, Cobleskill (next to the Laundromat)

For information please call LeAnn Bradt at 518- 231-9482 or Cori Jaycox-Bissonette 518-605-0122

My address is

22443B Chaffee Circle
Patuxent River, MD 20670

Shelter in Cobleskill if anyone wants to donate items 193 Golding Drive - Cobleskill, NY 12043 phone number 518-234-8368

If you mail anything to me just let me know so I can keep an eye out for it and if you would like me to split shipping costs I will do so when I can, just let me know. Thank you so much, I will also send proof of getting it by taking a picture of the box it arrives in, the boxes or whatever you send things in will not be opened by me but those in Schoharie county when donated

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)