Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick introduction

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 318 Total Views

Please start out by introducing yourself here.

My name is Nicole. I have two biological sons one four and one oneyear old. My husband and I are starting the adoption process this year. We are going to go through adoption ark's russian program. I can't wait to experiance this journey with all of you. Since I am just starting this group please feel free to pass along the word. The more the better.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Annie555
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM

My name is Annie.  I have 3 bio kids, ages 11, 10, and almost 8.  Last year we adopted our son Alex from Murmansk, Russia.  He is now 4 years old.  The journey to adopt is a wonderfully difficult, exciting experience and I always enjoy sharing with others that are on that journey too.  It seems like  no one else can really understand it until they experience it themselves.

cavadan
by Group Owner on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:14 PM

We are looking to adopt  a child 3 and under. How was your sons transition from russia since he would have been around that age? Did he have a hard time adapting to your other children? Did you learn russian before you went? How was the transition to english? Sorry so many questions.

Annie555
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 9:20 AM

We are looking to adopt  a child 3 and under. How was your sons transition from russia since he would have been around that age?  Did he have a hard time adapting to your other children? Did you learn russian before you went? How was the transition to english? Sorry so many questions.

Honestly, it was a somewhat slow transition.  It was weeks till he slept and ate well.  And months till he truly seemed to accept that we were his parents and that he was part of a family, but now that he has been here over a year~he's just like my other kids.  He loves playing with his older siblings, but he does "annoy" them a lot.  It's all very typical of normal sibling relationships.  And no, I didn't learn Russian first, although my husband listened to tapes on his commute to work and learned the basics.  Our adoption went fairly quickly (9 months) and most of that was getting the paperwork for the dossier completed.  I wished, while in Russia, that I had learned more of the language, but once we got home it was as if my son's mind turned off the Russian and switched to only English.  He learned English amazingly fast and soon no longer wanted to watch the Russian cartoons that I had bought, only Sponge Bob!  LOL

peggy131
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM

bow down Hi My name is Peggy T

I live in Calif. I have 7 adopted kids -2 from Russia -4 from Kazakhstan, and 1 from Thailand. They have all been adopted from disrupted adoptions.

FutureMom47
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hi,

My husband and I are officially waiting since the end of February. I expect we will get a referral sometime around Thanksgiving this year, according to my agency.

I bought Rosetta Stone, so we can learn some phrases to help in the transition, as we are hoping to adopt a 2-3 year old.

So far, we haven't really been working on that, since it seems so far off, before we will be travelling . I have a Russian friend, who has a child around the same age, so I'm hoping when I come home , that spending some time with them, will also help the baby be less confused.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)