Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your decision?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

Question: Why did/ or do you want to choose Baby Led Weaning?

To have a more natural baby, no processed foods

Less expensive than all those jars

Less picky eater when older

Don't want to force your child to eat

Other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

I am interested to see why you gals have chosen to do BLW or why you are thinking about doing it.  Feel free to leave comments after the pole!

I put down the most common reasons I have heard before, but I would like your 2 cents too!!
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Group Owner on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM
I am ALL OF THE ABOVE, should have thought about that button =o)
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2007 at 2:43 PM
umm....what you said!  All of the above.   plus, she was literally grabbing food from everyone's plates.  we started her out on oadmeal  and cream of wheat cereal and mushed up fruit (not babyfood) because she didnt have teeth but was shoing LOTS of interest in more than just breastmilk.  as soon as she got her first teeth (practically 5 at once), she was ready for real food and hated all the babyfood mush.  this kid totally LOVES TO EAT!!!!  With my first (Chloe) I followed all the 'expert' advise and basically force fed her and she was a TERRIBLE eater...there were a lot of other circumstances going on, so who knows what the cause was.  I knew I didnt want to do it that way with callie, so I just decided I would wait until she actually acted like she was ready, and MY GOODNESS she was ready waaaaaaaaaay before I thought she would be.  she started on cereal at 5-6 months and was eating mashed up *regular* food by 9 months.  now she pretty much just eats whatever we are eating, only smaller pieces (I do usually set some aside for her without as much seasoning if it is something salty or spicy).

Cottage Cheese.....Her FAV!
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Lyndsey is 8 months old and is eating everyting we eat except for eggs, nuts and honey.  She loves her nanny's black coffee.
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM
I would have chosen all of the above also.

Well my LO has now had Avacado, Sweet Potatoes and bananas.  I can't say enough about the Gerber Dippers... they are awesome and actually the mess has diminished a bit.  Although currently I have to "dip" the dipper into the food and he sucks it off the dipper and hands it back to me so I dip some more.  Normally I use two and we trade off, he loves it.  I am hoping that in a week or so, I can teach him how to "dip" himself.. that would be awesome.

Today I took a piece of banana and put it in the mesh bag for a snack... he loved that too.... so far I have only used the mesh bag with ice cubes (good tip for teething.... stick an ice cube in the mesh bag and they love it on their gums)

He eats really well at lunch time, dinner I think I have to try and feed him earlier.  My husband gets home too late and I try and wait so we all eat together, but it ends up being a big stresser for me because Matthew is flinging food all over the place as he is tired and I am trying to shovel food in my mouth so I can clean him up and nurse him to sleep.

I have decided that we (Matthew and I) are going to eat dinner earlier and if Daddy can make it great, if Daddy can't than he heats up a plate in the Microwave.  I hate that because I want us to eat as a family, but the stress is making me irritable at night. 

Breakfast is iffy... I think sometimes he nurses to much in the morning (we cosleep) and he isn't hungry for food.

Anyway, it is gong really well I am happy, Matthew is getting to taste new things and our nursing has stayed the same, so we have hit the jackpot!

by on Jun. 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM
My two year old started eating table food at 6 months old. She would not eat jar food at all. So her day care would put what ever they were having in the blender and she loved it. So I started buying the geber toddle foods and meal and cutting it up really tiny and she ate all of it. I would even put what we were having for dinner in the blender and she would eat it. Some times it depends on the child. My oldest was about 9 months and we would give her little bits at a time with her jar food and eventually she started eating less jar food and more table food. When we knew she was able to mush and swallow with out choking we stopped giving her jar food all together.

My Sisters Three Novelties

We sell a world full of unique and innovating products as well as your everyday novelties.
Visit us at MYSISTERSTHREENOVELTIES.COM to place an order or request a free catalog.

by New Member on Jul. 16, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Honestly I did not choose my baby did. At 6 months I tried to introduce him to cereal and he wanted nothing to do with a spoon in his face same with everything else i tried (with the exception of yogurt at about 10 months). I had know idea there was a name for what was happening I just knew the only way my baby would eat solids is if he did it himself. Even now he will only eat messy foods with a toddler fork or spoon. I'm so glad I found this group because i thought there was something wrong now I know my baby was only being natural.
by on Jul. 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM

it was pretty simple with us.  baby insisted on it lol  she refused to eat anything I tried to feed her with a spoon.  she wants to feed herself and that is all there is to it. 

by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM

When our daughter's pediatrician told us that she could have anything except honey at our visit today, the choice was made. It seemed unnatural to me to force her to eat expensive baby food that I wouldn't be willing to eat if you paid me. We were just going to make our own at home ... we blenderized bananas for her last week and I worried that her doctor would be upset with me for feeding fruits to her so soon. Imagine my relief when I found out about all of this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)