Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sweeping changes to public education in Ohio

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 363 Total Views

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland has proposed sweeping changes to public education, including an overhaul of the state’s school funding, expansion of the school year by 20 days, extending the school day, require all day kindergarten,  change the testing system to eliminate the Ohio Graduation Test, Improve educator quality through a residency program for new teachers.  The governor said he  won’t call for raising taxes, but warned of sacrifice as government programs are reduced and a variety of fees are increased.   

Twenty school days is another month of school.  School districts are struggling now to get levies passed to cover the cost of existing education.   Where is the money coming from to continue busing students another month, heating and cooling old worn-out buildings, increasing salaries for staff, and providing new space for all day kindergarten?  Most schools use the same space and staff for both am and pm  kindergarten. 

by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Hmm...it sounds like the democrats don't have much better solutions than the Republicans when it comes to improving education, huh?

I don't think an extra 20 days to the school year is a good idea for financial reasons.  Plus, most older buildings have no air conditioning.  I can't imagine being there in July.  Teachers are underpaid and many have summer jobs to help earn extra cash.  This would make it more difficult for them.

I think all day kindergarten is a great thing, but I realize it would be financially difficult.  Also, some kids just aren't ready for it.  It would be nice if both options were available in each district.

breastfeedingplaying soccer girlblowing bubbles

Noelle                Caitlin                    Taylor

arbutusdawn
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I know there is alot that has to be done to make public schools better.  I want PreK to be mandatory.  I don't think it's fair that you have to compete for a spot.  My daughter has a speech delay and it's still not certain that she will get in.  They only have 20 spots.

I think that alot of money is being wasted on other things that should be used for education instead.

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Are you looking at a private preschool?  Is so, you may want to look into public preschool for special needs children.  it's the law in every state that free public preschool be available to children with special needs, including speech delays.  Ask your doctor who you need to talk to for a referral in your area.

Quoting arbutusdawn:

I know there is alot that has to be done to make public schools better.  I want PreK to be mandatory.  I don't think it's fair that you have to compete for a spot.  My daughter has a speech delay and it's still not certain that she will get in.  They only have 20 spots.

I think that alot of money is being wasted on other things that should be used for education instead.

Mommy2Jayson
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I live in Ohio and recently graduated from public schools. Our schools deseratly need all of the things listed. Our schools are in BAD shape. This is all great!! Hoping we can fund the changes!  

I AM A SINGLE 19 YEAR OLD MOMMY. I GO TO COLLEGE FULL TIME FOR CORRECTIONS. I WORK FULL TIME AT THE DEPARTMENT OF JOB AND FAMILY SERVICES. I AM A SURVIVOR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND RAPE. I CO-SLEPT, VACCINANTED, DISPOSABLE DIPAERED AND FORMULA FED MY BEAUTIFUL ONE YEAR OLD SON JAYSON. HE IS HAPPY, HEALTHY AND WELL ADJUSTED TO HIS PERFECT LIFE. HE DOESN'T HAVE TWO PARENTS BUT HE HAS A MOMMY, 2 GRANDPARENTS, 3 AUNTS, 3 UNCLES, 7 COUSINS AND A WHOLE LOTTA LOVE! LIFE IS GOOD FOR US. AND THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

where are you in Ohio?

Quoting Mommy2Jayson:

I live in Ohio and recently graduated from public schools. Our schools deseratly need all of the things listed. Our schools are in BAD shape. This is all great!! Hoping we can fund the changes!  

Trishintraining
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I'm not in Ohio, so I don't know where they're getting this money, but I'm sure they have the information available somewhere.

We're doing a pilot program in my area right now for all day kindergarten. I don't know yet if it's been succesful, but how they've done it here is, you can CHOOSE to send your child to all dy kindergarten, or you can keep them in the normal program. If you decide to send them to all day, it's in a seperate school, so  you have to take them there instead of the local school. I can't wait to find out what they've found, if these kids are better equipped for first grade, if the children are all ready for the challenge of all day school, etc.

Also, I've heard of certain areas moving to 4 day school weeks, and I just think that's AWFUL! On Monday's, the kids don't pay half as much attention as they should, because they're coming off the weekends, and on Fridays they aren't paying attention because they're thinking about the weekend. So the kids would be getting a REAL 2 days a week, instead of the current 3.

I think, personally, we should go to year round schooling. Our children lose SO MUCH over the summer vacations. They do it in other countries, and it seems to work fine, if not better than here. The children still get breaks, but for no where near as long, so that they don't have as much of a chance to lose all that information, and adding a month of school seems like a step in that direction, so I guess I kind of agree with it :) As long as the rest of the community isn't suffering greatly from the lack of funds.

Our children are our biggest investment, so I think I'm on the "pro" side of this debate.

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM

We actually do have a lot of all-day kindergartens here in Ohio, it's just not mandatory by the state, and the OP is saying that it could change to that.  In my district, there are at least 2 (out of the 6) public elementary schools that offer a choice between full day and half day kindergarten.  My dd goes to our local Catholic school and they switched to full day a couple of years ago; she was the last class to do half day.  So, my other dds will be full day.  My degree is Early Childhood Development and there is overwhelming evidence as to the pros of all day K, so I'm all for it.  I know funding is a serious issue though.

I've never heard of the 4 day school week.  I think that's horrible and wonder how it's even legal.  Are they making the days longer to make up for it?  Even if they are, I don't agree with it because I don't think a longer school day is developmentally appropriate for young children.

Many schools have already gone to year round.  Dayton, a large city about 20 min away from me does year round.  i honestly believe that part of their decision was based on the high crime rates in their city and wanting to keep the kids off the streets.  In that case, I agree with it, but for other towns, I'm not sure.  At this point, I think it should remain as it is and allow each district to do what's best for them.  I guess you could say I'm "prochoice" in that regard, lol!

Quoting Trishintraining:

I'm not in Ohio, so I don't know where they're getting this money, but I'm sure they have the information available somewhere.

We're doing a pilot program in my area right now for all day kindergarten. I don't know yet if it's been succesful, but how they've done it here is, you can CHOOSE to send your child to all dy kindergarten, or you can keep them in the normal program. If you decide to send them to all day, it's in a seperate school, so  you have to take them there instead of the local school. I can't wait to find out what they've found, if these kids are better equipped for first grade, if the children are all ready for the challenge of all day school, etc.

Also, I've heard of certain areas moving to 4 day school weeks, and I just think that's AWFUL! On Monday's, the kids don't pay half as much attention as they should, because they're coming off the weekends, and on Fridays they aren't paying attention because they're thinking about the weekend. So the kids would be getting a REAL 2 days a week, instead of the current 3.

I think, personally, we should go to year round schooling. Our children lose SO MUCH over the summer vacations. They do it in other countries, and it seems to work fine, if not better than here. The children still get breaks, but for no where near as long, so that they don't have as much of a chance to lose all that information, and adding a month of school seems like a step in that direction, so I guess I kind of agree with it :) As long as the rest of the community isn't suffering greatly from the lack of funds.

Our children are our biggest investment, so I think I'm on the "pro" side of this debate.

Mommy2Jayson
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Cleveland... what about you?

Quoting Mommy_to_CTN:

where are you in Ohio?

Quoting Mommy2Jayson:

I AM A SINGLE 19 YEAR OLD MOMMY. I GO TO COLLEGE FULL TIME FOR CORRECTIONS. I WORK FULL TIME AT THE DEPARTMENT OF JOB AND FAMILY SERVICES. I AM A SURVIVOR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND RAPE. I CO-SLEPT, VACCINANTED, DISPOSABLE DIPAERED AND FORMULA FED MY BEAUTIFUL ONE YEAR OLD SON JAYSON. HE IS HAPPY, HEALTHY AND WELL ADJUSTED TO HIS PERFECT LIFE. HE DOESN'T HAVE TWO PARENTS BUT HE HAS A MOMMY, 2 GRANDPARENTS, 3 AUNTS, 3 UNCLES, 7 COUSINS AND A WHOLE LOTTA LOVE! LIFE IS GOOD FOR US. AND THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS

Mommy2Jayson
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM

My sister was very surprised to find out that Parma is no longer doing full day kindergarten. my niece went to two years of kindergarten. The first year was a half day in Parma and she didn't learn ANYTHING. He second year was in Lakewood and she was reading and writing by the end of the year. She's in first grade now, and she can already do her 2.5. and 10 times tables and she has a SLD, so this is amazing. Some school districts are better than the others. So I have to agree that it should be a school district thing instead of just a state thing

Quoting Mommy_to_CTN:

We actually do have a lot of all-day kindergartens here in Ohio, it's just not mandatory by the state, and the OP is saying that it could change to that.  In my district, there are at least 2 (out of the 6) public elementary schools that offer a choice between full day and half day kindergarten.  My dd goes to our local Catholic school and they switched to full day a couple of years ago; she was the last class to do half day.  So, my other dds will be full day.  My degree is Early Childhood Development and there is overwhelming evidence as to the pros of all day K, so I'm all for it.  I know funding is a serious issue though.

I've never heard of the 4 day school week.  I think that's horrible and wonder how it's even legal.  Are they making the days longer to make up for it?  Even if they are, I don't agree with it because I don't think a longer school day is developmentally appropriate for young children.

Many schools have already gone to year round.  Dayton, a large city about 20 min away from me does year round.  i honestly believe that part of their decision was based on the high crime rates in their city and wanting to keep the kids off the streets.  In that case, I agree with it, but for other towns, I'm not sure.  At this point, I think it should remain as it is and allow each district to do what's best for them.  I guess you could say I'm "prochoice" in that regard, lol!

Quoting Trishintraining:

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Troy...about 20 min north of Dayton

Quoting Mommy2Jayson:

Cleveland... what about you?

Quoting Mommy_to_CTN:

where are you in Ohio?

Quoting Mommy2Jayson:

Tired of bashers and locked posts in your debates?  Join us in Civil Debates, a group where posts won't get locked; the basher will simply be removed!  Come discuss any topic at http://www.cafemom.com/group/civildebates

This is a young group and we need a lot more mommas to join to make it a great place to debate like adults

breastfeeding Noelle   playing soccer girl Caitlin  blowing bubblesTaylor   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN