Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

What is your opinion of today's special ruling by the US Court of Federal Claims that there is no evidence of a link between autism and childhood vaccines ?  Thousands of families who believe in a link have sought compensation from the government's Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.  This ruling will result in the denial of these claims.

The autism-vaccine debate has raged for more than a decade. Most believe that Mercury, used as a preservative in vaccines until earlier this decade, triggers autism in otherwise healthy children. Others question wonder if  too many vaccines overwhelm a normal child's developing immune system, leading to autism.  Most pediatricians, along with mainstream medical societies such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, say there is overwhelming scientific evidence that vaccines are safe. They consider the refusal of  vaccines risky, as it could lead to an increase of preventable diseases like measles.

by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
codymax
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I know something is causing the autism rates to soar! but i dont think its vaccines, we were givin vaccines in our childhoods and autism wasnt even spoke of. youd think our vaccs now are safer than 25-30 years ago.  i think we should be looking for more causes instead of blaming vaccs and not using them.

ttcbaby boyslide

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I agree with Cody max.  Mercury was just taken out of vaccines around 2000, yet autism was very rare when we were children.  Now that the mercury is gone, we still are seeing huge numbers in autism.  I believe that vaccines do cause some problems in certain children who are susceptible, but I don't think autism is one of them. 

I personally believe that the cause of autism may be found somewhere in television viewing and eating habits.  Kids are watching WAY more TV than they did a generation ago.  Cartoons used to be on on Saturday mornings, now they are available 24/7.  More and more children also have tv's in their rooms and are going to sleep to them at night, which used to unheard of for young children.  TVs in bedrooms used to be reserved for teens and adults, if anyone.  TV viewing at very young ages has been determined by the AAP to have negative affects on brain development and attention.  This is why NO TV under age 2 is recommended, as well as only 2 hours/day for children over age 2.  Also, kids are eating way more fast food and canned food, rather than home cooked meals than they used to.  These foods are full of preservatives and artificial ingredients.  we are literally pumping out children full of toxins as their brains turn to mush in front of the TV.

Of course, food and TV don't automatically cause Autism in children, but I believe they are major triggers in children who are succeptable.  I also believe these two factors are also major contributors to the ADD/ADHD outbreak.

Tired of bashers and locked posts in your debates?  Join us in Civil Debates, a group where posts won't get locked; the basher will simply be removed!  Come discuss any topic at http://www.cafemom.com/group/civildebates

This is a young group and we need a lot more mommas to join to make it a great place to debate like adults

breastfeeding Noelle   playing soccer girl Caitlin  blowing bubblesTaylor   

tyrelsmom
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 12:30 AM

While I won't say that no vaccine has ever triggered a case of autism, I don't think it is as bad as some moms make it out to be.  And I would figure if it was the case, then every time my son or I got a shot, our autism would get worse (we both have asperger's).  And it doesn't.  So I'm unconvinced, to say the least.  In my family, I believe, it's hereditary.  It's freaking rampant, in my father's family.  And you hear of many families with several children with autism. 

For the soaring rates?  I would be more likely to blame food, and TV viewing as a PP said.  Apparently, although I only heard this from another mom here on cafemom, there's more toxins in a package of fruit snacks than in a vaccine.  Whether that's true or not, I'll never be able to eat fruit snacks again, lol.  Not much of a loss, anyways, that's pure sugar junk.

We're hoping for a girl!!!

RedSoxGirlBecky
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 1:07 AM
I don't think it's the vacs, its enviromental and genetic I think. I blame myself for my sons autism.
armywife_2000
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM

To mommytoCTN, not a bash, just the facts.....TV had  NO cause in the autism in my son.  He is just now 3 and we noticed changes around age 2, he actually had his 18 month shots a few months late...could be coincidence but how should I really know.  I never let him watch much TV at all.  We listened to Sirius classical music on Tv and some Little Einsteins, that was  it.   I don't believe in TV as babysitter.   We played  outside everyday, went  to the park, stacked blocks, read lots of  books, still do every day.  I don't know what, if anything he ate caused  this but his behavior changed and people around us noticed  it before I did.  He stems, flaps his arms, and  stopped  learning new words for almost a year  and  we worked  on his words, writing his  name and  alphabet, every day.  ANYWAY, just wanted to throw in my two cents. 

armywife_2000
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

BTW, in my and my dh's family, our Alex is the only one showing these signs...

Mommy_to_CTN
by Group Owner on Feb. 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I know it's not an automatic cause, but I do believe it to be a contributing factor in many cases, although obviously not your son's.

Quoting armywife_2000:

To mommytoCTN, not a bash, just the facts.....TV had  NO cause in the autism in my son.  He is just now 3 and we noticed changes around age 2, he actually had his 18 month shots a few months late...could be coincidence but how should I really know.  I never let him watch much TV at all.  We listened to Sirius classical music on Tv and some Little Einsteins, that was  it.   I don't believe in TV as babysitter.   We played  outside everyday, went  to the park, stacked blocks, read lots of  books, still do every day.  I don't know what, if anything he ate caused  this but his behavior changed and people around us noticed  it before I did.  He stems, flaps his arms, and  stopped  learning new words for almost a year  and  we worked  on his words, writing his  name and  alphabet, every day.  ANYWAY, just wanted to throw in my two cents. 

~Melissa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN