David McCallum's parents were both members of the London Philharmonic; his mother was a cellist and his father was first violinist. The young Scots-born McCallum himself planned to pursue a musical career after serving with the Royal West African Frontier Force, but decided instead upon acting. Following his studies at the RADA, McCallum entered films in 1957, where he was usually cast as a troublemaking street punk or callow junior officer. His first American film (albeit lensed principally in England) was Freud (1962), in which he played a profoundly mother-obsessed mental patient.
McCallum became the rage of the teeny-bopper set when he was cast as cool-headed Russian secret agent Ilya Kuryakin on TV's The Man From UNCLE (1964-68). At one point, McCallum was receiving far more fan mail than the series' ostensible star, Robert Vaughn; he took advantage of his celebrity to launch a brief singing career, duetting with Nancy Sinatra on the 1966 UNCLE episode "The Take Me to Your Leader Affair." He also wrote the music and lyrics and sang the title song of his 1967 movie vehicle Three Bites of the Apple. Following UNCLE, McCallum had a handful of solid dramatic film roles before returning to the small screen in the short-lived 1975 series The Invisible Man. A man of sundry outside interests, McCallum's range of expertise includes computers and small-arms weaponry. Once wed to actress Jill Ireland, David McCallum has since 1967 been married to Katherine Carpenter. - Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
- Birth Name: David Keith McCallum
- Birth Place: Glasgow, Scotland
- Date of Birth / Zodiac Sign: 09/19/1933, Virgo
- Profession: Actor
- His father was a concertmaster violinist and his mother was a cellist.
- Plays the oboe.
- Served in the Royal West African Frontier Force.
- Introduced ex-wife Jill Ireland to her future husband, Charles Bronson, while filming The Great Escape.
- Eventually took American citizenship and currently resides in New York.
- David McCallum Relationships:
- David McCallum Sr. - Father
- Dorothy McCallum - Mother
- Iain McCallum - Brother
- Jason McCallum - Son
- Jill Ireland - Ex-wife
- Katherine Carpenter - Wife
- Paul McCallum - Son
- Peter McCallum - Son
- Sophie McCallum - Daughter
- Valentine McCallum - Son
- David McCallum Awards:
- 1966 Golden Globe: Actor in a Television Series - Nominee
- 1969 Emmy: Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Nominee
- 1966 Emmy: Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Series - Nominee
- 1965 Emmy: Outstanding Individual Achievements in Entertainment - Nominee
- Attended the Royal Academy of Music, London, England; attended University College, London, England; attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England