Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

elastic waist skirts without using the skirt wearer

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

I'm planning on making my girls some skirts for christmas. but for it to be a supprise i can't have them there to adjust the elastic. Can anyone help me do this without messing up the present?

i am a proverbs 31, biblical, frugal living, attachment parenting, natural healing, modest sewing, God assisted, stay at home, homemaker with a large family and very old fashion views.

links go to several of my favorite groups if you want to check them out.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
COGMOMJen
by Group Owner on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Well you have 2 options. get their waist measurement, under the rouge of just wanting to see how much they've grown lol, or use a current skirt that fits them good. 

To measure elastic, you take the waist measurment and substract 3" from it, sto get the dorrect elastic size.   You want it to stretch, not fall off.

JenD

WAHM, Homeschooling, Green momma of 4 great kids.  

http://churchofgodmom.blogspot.com/ 

mommaseyes
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM

thanks. i was thinking you subtract a inch but it's good i asked or it wouldn't have been right.

i am a proverbs 31, biblical, frugal living, attachment parenting, natural healing, modest sewing, God assisted, stay at home, homemaker with a large family and very old fashion views.

links go to several of my favorite groups if you want to check them out.

COGMOMJen
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Quoting mommaseyes:

thanks. i was thinking you subtract a inch but it's good i asked or it wouldn't have been right.

It's a good idea to leave extra, so you can loosen it as she grows too.  Just leave a tail after your stiching.  I usually just put it on them and pull it tight lol, so I could be wrong, but it seems like that is what i was always told.

fostermommyof3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I don't subract anything, my theory being that they can grow into them....if it starts out a little tight, which minus 3 inches might do, it's not gonna be good.  JMHO. 

bearpatriotic

God Bless America!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)