Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to add material to fill in a slit in a skirt

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 2053 Total Views

I found this skirt, and REALLY like it.  It's comfy, denim, got it cheap BUT I don't like the slit.  This slit was above my knee, so it was pretty long.  Here is how I filled it in!  I used the pant leg of an old pair of hubbys blue jeans.

This is what it looked like, laying on the table.  You can see how long the slit is.

1. The first thing I did, was but a piece of denim (from some of hubbys old jeans).  I made it in a triangle shape, be sure to make it long enough to attach at least at inch above the top of the slit and below the skirt hem.  It's easier to trim extra later, than add more.  I laid the slit open so there would be plenty of room for moving.  Once finished, my added piece is almost 6" along the hem.

2.  I used tailors chalk (it irons off) to draw my finish line.  I than used my serger to finish the edge of the insert piece.  If you don't have a serger, run a straight stitch and zig zag to finish the edge.  Be sure to make it larger that the slit. 

3.  I than found a matching thread and pinned and topstitched it over the original stitching.  I did both rows on each side.  Be sure to do across the top, following the orig. stitching.

4.  I opened a few inches on each side of the hem, to blend the new hem with the old.  I trimmed the hem and stitched it as one.

The finished product. 

Here is an inside view to show you how much larger the inserted piece is. 

JenD  SAHM, Homeschooling, Baking, Sewing, Conservative,  Green momma of 4 great kids.  Join me on my blog and Cafe Mom groups: Christian Frugal Living . Sewing Modest . In This Dress

by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oldfashionSAHM
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:52 AM

thanks i have a couple of skirts i've been planning on doing this too.

Jampuppy
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 7:02 AM

That really came out nice, Jen!  Thanks for sharing that.  I am all for transforming clothes to save money and simply not be wasteful.  In my former life I wore many immodest things that with help like this I can recreate.  We are also sometimes given clothing by well-intensioned people that we (my daughter and I) simply would not wear. 

Would this technique also work to give volume to skirts that are too narrow?

COGMOMJen
by Group Owner on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Yes it would.  Just split the seams and add a coordinating material.  You could do the side seams for sure and depending on the front seams you could do the front and back seam too.  If it's a single front seam, be careful about making it look to poofy.  Just play with it, and have some fun!  My SIL has the cutest skirt like this.  It's denim with a really fun and bright coordinating material.  She's only 12 so she gets away with it lol.  It's really cute!

Quoting Jampuppy:

That really came out nice, Jen!  Thanks for sharing that.  I am all for transforming clothes to save money and simply not be wasteful.  In my former life I wore many immodest things that with help like this I can recreate.  We are also sometimes given clothing by well-intensioned people that we (my daughter and I) simply would not wear. 

Would this technique also work to give volume to skirts that are too narrow?

JenD  SAHM, Homeschooling, Baking, Sewing, Conservative,  Green momma of 4 great kids.  Join me on my blog and Cafe Mom groups: Christian Frugal Living . Sewing Modest . In This Dress

Kenre
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM

You did a good job. I have a skirt my neighbor gave me the other day with slits on the sides. I'm going to be cutting DH's jeans to fill it soon. After my current project is done, of course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)