Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

5 Parenting Fantasies That Would Make Reality So Much Better! What would you add to this list?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

5 Parenting Fantasies That Would Make Reality So Much Better

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

daydreamingWhen it comes to parenting small children, most of us don't have time to think. When we do, we can't hear ourselves doing so anyway. However, in those few rare minutes we find ourselves in the dentist chair (a bizarre kind of bliss) or perhaps (once in awhile) alone in the bathroom, it's amazing just where our minds go ... it's just not where they used to go.

Mom fantasies are hot for sure, but no longer do they always involve torrid and steamy encounters. They're typically about things a little more on the practical side, even if they are wild stretches of the imagination.

Over at Huffington Post, Amber Dusick, crafted a list of her top five parenting fantasies, complete with some great illustrations. They include things like standard measurements for children's clothing and no candy machines in stupid places. All of which would be great, but I can think of plenty more. Here are five more of my own parenting fantasies that would make reality so much easier to take.

More from The Stir: Top 10 Reasons Other People Think I'm a Bad Parent

1. Children would be born potty trained.

Remember, I said they were fantasies, so I'm going big here. Potty training my son was one of the most stressful things I've ever done in my life. It was a battle that felt endless and was wrought with tears, anxiety, and more bribes than I knew I could create. Fortunately, we made it in the end, but I'm convinced, it took at least a few weeks off my life.

2. Toddlers would be sane.

There is so much I love about toddlers and their view of the world, so I certainly wouldn't want to skip this stage. But they're insane, plain and simple. If only they'd listen to a little bit of reason, we wouldn't spend so much time scraping their flailing little tantruming bodies off the floors of public spaces.

3. Minivans would clean themselves.

The inside of my ride is often my biggest source of shame. With kids in and out, and snacks, toys, half the house, and whatever they grab while walking through the garage coming with them, it's impossible to keep that thing clean.

4. Sleep would be a given.

For them, for us -- uninterrupted, dependable sweet, sweet slumber that we could count on. Always.

More from The Stir: 10 Classic Symptoms of Mommy Brain

5. Parenting would be appreciated not judged.

Gone would be any smugness or judgement when it comes to how we're raising our kids -- which for most of us means doing the best we can. Stay at home or work; bottle or breast; cloth or disposal; organic or not -- do what works for you, sister. Sadly, this may be the least likely fantasy of all to ever be realized.

What are your wildest fantasies when it comes to parenting?

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I love the part of toddlers being sane. I always joke that Joey acts like a drunk person, he is temperamental, he trips over a lot of stuff, and sometimes you can't understand what he is saying.

SweetPea2004
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I would LOVE for my next child to come out potty trained...I am blessed with a good sleeper so that is not a fantasy.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I would LOVE for my next child to come out potty trained...I am blessed with a good sleeper so that is not a fantasy.

yea we are just starting to potty train here. some days it works out pretty well, others not really!

baby
MaryanneMac
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Agreed and I want my next one to be able to talk, not just cry. So I know what's wrong.

SweetPea2004
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Talking is a good one

Quoting MaryanneMac:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Agreed and I want my next one to be able to talk, not just cry. So I know what's wrong.

CafeMom Tickers
Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I love these! Number 4 is my favorite.

MaryanneMac
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

agreed

Quoting Iluvmy2kiddies:

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Iluvmy2kiddies:

sleep would be nice!

baby
Christiansmom44
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM
The rest don't bother me much, but sleep is my largest fantasy at the moment!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryanneMac
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM

we're working on potting training. 

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

yea we are just starting to potty train here. some days it works out pretty well, others not really!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)