Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

5 Kentucky Derby Cocktails to Sip on During the Race! Would you try these?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

5 Kentucky Derby Cocktails to Sip on During the Race

Posted by Mary Fischer

mint julepAre you ready for the Kentucky Derby this Saturday? I sure am. I don't know what it is about watching that race each year that gets me so excited, but I always look forward to taking in the action. (Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the South?) Attending the Kentucky Derby is definitely on my bucket list, but even if you aren't lucky enough to be at Churchill Downs wearing a fancy hat and living it up equestrian style, you can still have a great time with your friends while watching the race.

All you need is a few plates of fancy hors d'oeuvres, and of course, the perfect cocktails to sip while you admire the hats. Here are 5 yummy libations to mix up and enjoy.

Mint Julep - You can't have the Kentucky Derby without this one, right? There's nothing more refreshing on a hot day than bourbon, sugar, and fresh mint.

Lemon Ginger "Tulep" - Kind of like a julep, but with a nice iced tea twist.

The Derby - Those who love more of a classic drink will love this tangy bourbon concoction.

Oaks Lily - This is a good one for lighter drinkers, with cranberry juice as the main ingredient.

Pomegranate Bourbon Cocktail - If you're also serving up Mexican fare for Cinco de Mayo while you're watching the Derby, this fruity cocktail pairs perfectly.

And if you really want to go hard core, throw a little ice in a glass and have a bourbon on the rocks. Just make sure to place your bets before knocking one back.

What are some of your favorite Derby inspired drink recipes?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
meagan0716
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I wont be watching the ky derby. I think horse racing is cruel. They start training the house at a young age and then buy 8 the horse has so many problems depending on the problem depends on if the horse lives a nice retired life in the fields or the horse gets put down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheena696
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I don't know about the Derby, but I'll take a cocktail. heehee I've always wanted to try a Mint Julep...come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had bourbon at all.

Dimples04
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I'm not far from the derby, but I have no interest in it either. Plus I'm preggo so drinking isn't a option either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babybear89
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I like bourbon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryanneMac
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I don't drink...so i'll have  water instead

Babybear89
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I like water lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryanneMac
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

water is good (and one of the few things I can still drink

Quoting Babybear89:

I like water lol

eds6619
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM

i dont drink

Christiansmom44
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
No. I can't drink because of medication. I'll sit this one out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN