Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

What is the appropriate response?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

And here is the other reason that i'm feeling a tad bit overwhelmed. Yesterday my son, 1st grade, was punched in the mouth by another 1st grader (the kid was Logan's bff and we just went to his bday party even) on the bus. His lip was slightly busted and his gum was bleeding. AFter he calmed down I checked him and he has a fat lip and his tooth is loose. It is his front tooth that he should be loosing soon anyways so I'm not too freaked about it. My son is what DH calls a "pansy" He isn't rough adn tumble and unless it is his siser he isn't likely to punch, shove, pinch, etc. (sibiling love?) He told me he was making monkey noises and may or may not have been asked to stop by his friend. When Logan didn't stop the boy punched him. The bus driver told me she would take care of it and they wouldn't be sitting together anymore for sure. 

The boy lives close to us and because of housing positions I can actually see the kids house from our garage. I dont' know what to do. I think my son should have stopped, but I can't dismiss that the other boy reacted in a very aggressive way that I find unacceptable. I instinctly want to march over to the kids house and ask for his side of the story and say something along the lines of this is wrong and tell the day his son needs to appologize to my son. DH says he doens't really know what we should do other than wait and see what the bus driver did/does. I agree and I agree that to an extent if it is taken care of maybe we should just let it be, but it is my baby. I asked Logan what he wanted me to do and he asked waht I could do. I have no idea and I said that. He said he thinks I should do something otherwise the kid will just punch someone else. MIL asked me if I thought Logan was being bullied. I knwo that I had suspected that at one time, but the incidences we have had have all been random and by different kids that I truly think have just been accidental. The only time that I thought soemthing was up was earlier in the year when Logan was punched in the leg on the bus and since having his seat switched he hasn't had an issue. 

I dont' know what I'm supposed to do or not be doing. I don't want to overreact and make things worse, but I don't want to underreact and him be hurt again either. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babybear89
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Hmm I'm not sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryanneMac
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I would see how the seat change on the bus works, if it stops the problem then I wouldn't sy anything, but if it happens again I wold definatly say something

sheena696
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I would probably wait and see if the seat change helps. If not, then I would go straight to the parents. 

tamidawn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I would be upset too! Nobody better mess with my babies. :( I'm sorry that happened!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eds6619
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I would give the bus driver a chance to take care of it, since they said they would.  Then, if its not satisfactory, take it in your own hands.

I would be livid.  You have every to be angry.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I would've walked over to the house, explain what happened to the parents, and get their side. Then the bus driver can do whatever she needs to do on the bus.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

wow. i would be upset too. I would follow up with the bus driver in a few days.

GraceHudson
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM
bump

hcdeubof3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I'm just now sitting down to give an update. I drove Logan Monday to and from due to a school thing that he needed help carrying. Tuesday he rode the bus. I told the driver the extent of his injuries and she sat him in the seat directly behind her. At first I was upset with this because my opinion is that my son wasn't the one doing hte punching and the boy doing the punching should be sitting there. I didn't say anything and let it go. I let it go mainly because Logan doesn't care where he is sitting, so if he doesn't care why make a big deal? Logan was given a handwritten letter from the boy appologizing. I asked Logan how he felt about it and he just shrugged his shoulders. Yesterday, Wednesday, I was told htey are friends again. I guess the little boy keeps saying he is sorry and Logan is just kind of shrugging his shoulders and not saying much in response to him. They aren't in the same class, don't sit together at lunch, dont' sit on the bus, havne't played outside together in months, and dont' play recess at school together. So, basically they just see eachother in passing right now. I told Logan they can be friends and he can forgive him, but if he doesn't want to be his friend and forgive him that's okay too. It is hard knowing what to say and what kind of guidance to give him right now. I feel like whatever I say is going to affect him in the long run. I also am trying to let him do the deciding and me just do the guiding. Maybe he is too young for that but I'm hoping this will help later down the road in middle school and high school. Logan did tell me he wasn't inviting the boy to his birthday party and I'm okay with that. 

MaryanneMac
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Good for your son!!!

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Sorry I'm just now sitting down to give an update. I drove Logan Monday to and from due to a school thing that he needed help carrying. Tuesday he rode the bus. I told the driver the extent of his injuries and she sat him in the seat directly behind her. At first I was upset with this because my opinion is that my son wasn't the one doing hte punching and the boy doing the punching should be sitting there. I didn't say anything and let it go. I let it go mainly because Logan doesn't care where he is sitting, so if he doesn't care why make a big deal? Logan was given a handwritten letter from the boy appologizing. I asked Logan how he felt about it and he just shrugged his shoulders. Yesterday, Wednesday, I was told htey are friends again. I guess the little boy keeps saying he is sorry and Logan is just kind of shrugging his shoulders and not saying much in response to him. They aren't in the same class, don't sit together at lunch, dont' sit on the bus, havne't played outside together in months, and dont' play recess at school together. So, basically they just see eachother in passing right now. I told Logan they can be friends and he can forgive him, but if he doesn't want to be his friend and forgive him that's okay too. It is hard knowing what to say and what kind of guidance to give him right now. I feel like whatever I say is going to affect him in the long run. I also am trying to let him do the deciding and me just do the guiding. Maybe he is too young for that but I'm hoping this will help later down the road in middle school and high school. Logan did tell me he wasn't inviting the boy to his birthday party and I'm okay with that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN