Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Bake Sale Bans

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

I read an article saying the Massachusetts board of health wants to ban bake sales to help fight childhood obesity. I dont live in MA, but it got me thinking...

Would you approve of a ban like that in your school district?

Do you think it would actually help fight obesity?

Do you think it would influence any fundraisers your children are a part of?

baby
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tamidawn
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM
I think that's silly to ban and would not help obesity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not approve because Bake Sales have nothing to do with obesity. Sure, what is sold is sweets and things not necessarily good for you, but getting rid of bake sales isn't going to help anyone lose weight nor will it change poor eating habits in the home. 

Babybear89
by Gracey on May. 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I agree with sheena
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hcdeubof3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

childhood obesity? seriously??? I could see the ban for something along the lines of Hepititis, but not obesity. I thought the idea behind some of the obesity arguements was that people were eating out too much and when they did eat in the items were too processed. I see getting a bunch of mom's together to make some wholesome less processed baked goods as not a terrible thing. Get some fiber and whole grain in the kids and teach others how to bake in a more healthier fashion. 

megangary
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

That's just silly! You know in GA, they got rid of the physical education programs? 

hcdeubof3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

wow! I understand having to make cuts, but sheesh. Not to get too much of a debate going, but couldn't some teachers (who aren't doing our students any good) be cut instead? 

Quoting megangary:

That's just silly! You know in GA, they got rid of the physical education programs? 

MaryanneMac
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

exactly

Quoting sheena696:

I would not approve because Bake Sales have nothing to do with obesity. Sure, what is sold is sweets and things not necessarily good for you, but getting rid of bake sales isn't going to help anyone lose weight nor will it change poor eating habits in the home. 

jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Quoting megangary:

was that a cost cutting measure?

baby
megangary
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM
That's what I was told.

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting megangary:

was that a cost cutting measure?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megangary
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Lol I don't want to debate either, but I'm with you on that

Quoting hcdeubof3:

wow! I understand having to make cuts, but sheesh. Not to get too much of a debate going, but couldn't some teachers (who aren't doing our students any good) be cut instead? 

Quoting megangary:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)