Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Pizzeria Bans Rowdy Kids & Leaves Parents With a Bad Taste

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

Pizzeria Bans Rowdy Kids & Leaves Parents With a Bad Taste

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

Cappy's PizzaHere we go again with the child-adverse masses out to squelch any sign or sound of youth from their daily lives. Cappy's Pizza in Florida is the latest establishment to jump on the bandwagon by officially banning rowdy kids with a ridiculously patronizing sign right when you walk in the door.

It reads: "Parents for the safety and comfort of everyone if you allow your child to run/scream/or misbehave, party will be asked to leave." Kids are completely banned from the back patio. Talk about giving a parent indigestion before she's even ordered. If I saw a sign like that when I walked into a restaurant -- especially a pizzeria decked out with video games and other stuff that caters to kids -- I'd be walking right back out again.

It's not that I don't think a restaurant has the right to ask a family to leave if they can't control their kids. I don't want to dine next to unruly ruffians (mine included) either, and I empathize with the business owner who says he's had things broken or stolen by out-of-control kids. On Facebook, owner Scooter Gabel wrote, "My dining room goes from being a dining room to a bounce house with the arrival of some families." However, it's the assumption that MOST kids can't be trusted to behave nor can their parents be trusted to handle the situation appropriately that I can't stomach. 

If they want to ask individuals who are disruptive to leave, I'd support them 100 percent, but why the need to insult all parents -- most of whom DO control their children just fine, thank you very much? And why just limit it to children, how about anyone who misbehaves? I've seen plenty of loud, obnoxious (usually drunk) adults disturb my dining experience too.

Yesterday my husband took my mom and me out to a lovely four-course lunch for Mother's Day in a fancy restaurant with lots of champagne and more silverware per place setting than my children had ever seen. Was I nervous that my 3-year-old might get tired and act out in such a setting, or that my 8-year-old would start trouble with her? Sure, but I was also prepared to take them out (or make my husband take them out since it was Mother's Day) at any minute if they did. Guess what? They behaved beautifully during the entire two-hour ordeal (and played a lot of games on the iPhones). Some days it may not have gone like that, but I bristle at the assertion that I as a parent won't handle whatever happens.

Sure there are parents who don't, but in my experience, they are the exception rather than the rule, and the rest of us shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens and be warned just because we have children. It's rude and condescending, and frankly, it's bad business.

Do you think it was rude of this restaurant to put up a sign like this?

by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryanneMac
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM
3 moms liked this

No I don't think the sign is rude.  The owner is covering himself by stating IN WRITING what will happen if people can't behave.  I do agree that is should apply to adults too. 

rebeccasmly
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM
I don't think it us rude. Just recently at a pizza place, I watched a child bully the other kids at the arcade. Stealfrom them, yelling, pushing, the works. In the dining area, he would take food and prizes off tables, he ran. Pushed furniture around, nearly knocked a lady over. His parents ignored it. When approached by employees, the parents stated there were not signs posted about being asked to leave. They were allowed to stay. The management of the pizzaria in the article was covering his behind and making it possible to ask a family to leave if necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don't think it's rude at all. Maybe it will stop some Parents from being ignorant and letting their Kids run around all over the place. If only Department Stores would follow suit.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

MaryanneMac
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love it department stores followed 

Quoting Strega:

I don't think it's rude at all. Maybe it will stop some Parents from being ignorant and letting their Kids run around all over the place. If only Department Stores would follow suit.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I don't think it's rude either, my kids are usually pretty good. But, ds went through this phase where he thought it was ok to scream if he didn't get his way, we used to take him outside when he did that. I don't let them run around either, that annoying. 

rebeccasmly
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Oh my goodness, that would make shopping so much better!

Quoting MaryanneMac:

I would love it department stores followed 

Quoting Strega:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 15, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I dont think signs like this really help. If you let your kids run around and act crazy on a regular basis, I dont think the threat of sign really changes anything.

Christiansmom44
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's rude. Some parents don't care how their kids behave in public and others even think it's cute. The sign must have been put up for a valid reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babybear89
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I agree with the sign
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I applaude them, good for them. If I am not at McDonalds or someplace similar I would like to actually enjoy my meal and not hear screaming children. I would see the sign and smile and sit down with my dd who doesn't do any of that.

I love how they have a kid free area also, I WOULD LOVE that at most resturants.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN