Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, 50 Shades of Grey..

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here is my final opinion...this is after forcing myself to finish book three so you can guess where this is going...

Let's just say, I am not a fan. The writing truely was very bad. The transition over from book 2 and book 3 was very bad and annoyed me. To me, you can tell if someone is going to be a great writer just by their first books. These did not leave me wanting to read more. And she did leave it hanging so you would expect more for these characters in future books. Which I will not waste the money on. Seriously, I'm still mad that I wasted money on bad books. lol So this series, I originally was going to give a D grade, but I have to say, they get an F in my book. I will probably never understand the lure of these books. It's not because I am a prude, because I really don't think I am, but I think it's more that I have read HUNDREDS of books...and some of those 100000xs better than 50 Shades. So I for one am not swooning and daydreaming about "Christian Grey".

Oh and I think whoever plays the lead parts in the movie will end up regretting it unless Hollywood completely changes the whole thing. 

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Thanks! There is a movie coming out?
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Apparently. I guess I can see that they could make it better, but they will definitely have to stray from the book. Because if they don't..ick. 

Babybear89
by Gracey on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

soooo basically its the grown up version of twilight lol bad writing that has become way too popular

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I actually would not have connected it to Twilight had it not been pointed out to me prior to reading them. But I guess that is really the only reason these are popular, because of the Twilight craze. I feel jipped because I had high expectations due to all the noise about them and my expectations were not fulfilled. I really quite in awe over the fact that so many women think these book are so good and in turn think they character Christian Grey is swoon worthy. 

And I have seen a few people on here that are into the BDSM lifestyle say that it is not an accurate portrayal of the lifestyle. Even though I know NOTHING about it, I can see exactly what they mean. 

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Thanks

eds6619
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

oh wow.  i'm glad you're giving it an honest review.  now i'm not in a hurry to read them.

I am a prude and probably wouldn't like them anyways. LOL.

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jun. 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You know what book you should read next? The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. They are really long books, but I"m telling you they are so worth it. There is sex in it and I'm always wary to tell people about them because of that. I dont' think they are "dirty" I think that the sex in is part of the storyline of describing the characters feelings, emotions at the moment. I don't know how else to describe it other than that. The first book I read a long time ago and am rereading. It made me break down in tears at one part because of the female character's turmoil of choosing between loves. They are very well written and worth every minute you can't put it down and loss of sleep!!! 

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting hcdeubof3:

You know what book you should read next? The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. They are really long books, but I"m telling you they are so worth it. There is sex in it and I'm always wary to tell people about them because of that. I dont' think they are "dirty" I think that the sex in is part of the storyline of describing the characters feelings, emotions at the moment. I don't know how else to describe it other than that. The first book I read a long time ago and am rereading. It made me break down in tears at one part because of the female character's turmoil of choosing between loves. They are very well written and worth every minute you can't put it down and loss of sleep!!! 

I don't really mind the sex unless the just get ridiculously descriptive then I'm like, really? Did you have to go that far? lol I think with 50 Shades I was just not going to get past the other stuff. I have heard of The Outlander series before and I think I will start them!! I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and get the first one. Sounds interesting!

eds6619
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I don't mind if they talk about it, but its the really descriptive parts that are just not necessary.  I read one once that was awful.

tamidawn
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Wow. A friend of mine cant get enough, lol! I'm not a reader.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)