Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Freezer meals

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 21 Replies
I am so going to try and do this. Has anyone done this before? I don't thinkill try it for a few more weeks though because we need to eat down the food we have in the freezer. It sounds really great in that it sounds cheaper, faster, and easier meal planning. It is almost fall so the crockpot is what I'm mainly wanting to cook in. I saw it on pinterest.
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babybear89
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I want to try it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eds6619
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I haven't, but really want to try it.  I know a girl here who shops for the entire month, cooks it all up and freezes.  My dh says he doesn't want to eat frozen food, but boo on him.

MaryanneMac
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I so need to try that.

eds6619
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Ok whomever tries it first needs to report back with all the details.

hcdeubof3
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Quoting eds6619:

No, I haven't, but really want to try it.  I know a girl here who shops for the entire month, cooks it all up and freezes.  My dh says he doesn't want to eat frozen food, but boo on him.

The one on pinterest doesn't cook all of hers but portions it in gallon baggies and freezes, thaws, and puts in crockpot. Im not keen on the idea of making a casserole, cooking, and then freezing it for later. Personally
hcdeubof3
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Quoting eds6619:

Ok whomever tries it first needs to report back with all the details.

Yep
TwinsFanMama
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Here are 2 of my posts from another group about my Freezer Meal Adventure :) I did this back in March. All the meals were great and delicious and soooo easy!

I was slicing veggies yesterday for my freezer meals using the Pampered Chef slicer...where you hold it in one hand, then with the other hand slide the veggie back and forth over the blade. Well, I thought I had one more slice on that carrot, but evidently not cuz I sliced a good chunk of my finger off. I was next to the sink so I got it under water right away but I still covered my sink in blood spray. I yelled to my hubby and he comes up and looks in the sink and goes wtf?? I move my finger out of the water he takes one look and says OH! Oh .... Ummmm....ok ah what do we do about that?!? Lol I had him wrap it up with paper towel and went to urgent care. There was nothing to stitch so they used this gel foam stuff to get the blood to clot and stop bleeding. That hurt like a mofo!! Lol so now I'm sporting a huge pressure bandage on my finger. They think my nail should grow back, but they aren't sure how my finger will look once the skin heals. It might be pretty lopsided since I took off most of the meat on the tip and side. On the bright side, I did get enough freezer meals made for 30 meals!

***disclaimer: not responsible for any missing body parts as a result of this adventure! *** lol :)

So I thought I'd do a post about the freezer meals I made this weekend (ya know, when I chopped my finger tip off lol). They are super easy so if you've never done freezer meals before, don't panic, you can totally start with these.
1. BBQ chicken strips
My grocery store had chicken breast strips on sale so I grabbed a couple bags, but you can just slice up boneless chicken breasts or use whatever chicken parts you want. I use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Just dump a small bottle of sauce in a quart sized freezer bag and fill it up with chicken strips. Then, just throw them (still frozen, or thawed, whatever!) in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 30-45 mins.
2. Teriayki chicken stir fry
Dump a bunch of teriayki marinade in a quart sized freezer bag. Fill up with chicken strips. I use the generic stir fry frozen veggies, but you could slice up your own if you want, but it's only a dollar at Walmart so I go that route. Lol. put the stir fry veggies, unopened, in a gallon freezer bag. Add the smaller bag of chicken. Thaw the chicken during the day so it will soak up the marinade while it thaws. Then cool chicken in a frying pan until done, then throw the veggies in and cook until desired tenderness. Serve over rice
3. Sloppy joes
Brown 2 pounds of hamburger with onions. Add some Worcester sauce, ketchup, and mustard. Drain and dump into a gallon freezer bag. Add two cans of chicken gumbo soup. Throw into crock pot still frozen and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until nice and thick and sloppy.
4. Fajitas
Cook up a pound of chicken breats cut into strips or small chunks. Drain and put into a gallon freezer bag.
Slice one each of red, green, yellow, an orange peppers. Add a small onion. Tape the packet of fajita seasoning to the outside of the bag. Prepare according to packet directions.
5. Enchiladas
Cook about a pound or so of chicken breasts cut into either strips or small chunks. Drain and put in mixing bowl. Add 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup ricotta cheese and 1 can cream of chicken soup. Add enchilada seasoning packet and 1 cup of "Mexican" or taco cheese. Mix well. Spoon filling onto tortillas and roll up. Place in a foil baking pan sprayed with Pam. Repeat until all the filling is gone. Top with more cheese and salsa. Cover pan with a couple layers of foil so it's nice and tight. Bake from frozen at 350, uncovered, for about 30 mins or so until everything is all heated through. Top with sour cream.
6. Beef stew with veggies
Slice up potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, (or whatever other veggies you want) add a package of stew meat and a package of Lipton's beefy onion soup mix. Throw in the crock pot frozen with a cup of water and cook on low for 8 hours.
7. Chicken and veggies
Slice up carrots, potatoes, onions, red, orange, and yellow peppers, squash, and zucchini (again, basically whatever veggies you want!)
Add 3-4 boneless chicken breasts and one packet of Lipton's garlic and herb seasoning mix. Throw in the crock pot frozen with a cup of water and cook on low for 8 hours.
8. Stuffed pork chops
Slice up carrots potatoes and onions. Add one can of cream soup, I used celery. Add 2 big stuffed pork chops. Or a few regular chops. Mine were stuffed with wild rice stuffing. Throw in the crock pot frozen with a cup of water and cook on low for 8 hours.
9. Spaghetti
Brown hamburger. Drain and dump in freezer bag. Add sauce of your choice. Toss in a pan on the stove, or heat in microwave while your noodles boil.
10. Pulled pork Sammies
I use one half of a regular pork roast and one half of a Porketta and cook them together in the crock pot on low for 8 hours. Then drain the fat and save the juice. Shred the meat and add it to the juice. Makes yummy sammiches. Since I only use a half of each, I freeze the other halves and do it again another time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.3xBlessed.
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM
I don't do freezer meals, but i am an ingredient hoarder. I buy meats every time i go to the store, even if i don't need them. We recently bought a deep freezer, and it has made me go meat-crazy.

Does anyone know if it's ok to deep freeze potatoes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Please when you start doing it, post what things you will be cooking.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

Thank you so much for posting!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN