Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National school standards

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Who should be held accountable for teaching our children?

Options:

Parents

Teachers

School officials

Parents AND teacher

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

Solving the issues...where do you stand?
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents have to  teach their children, but teachers trained for the academic parts of teaching (i.e. the new math, proper ways to diagram a sentence, spelling, ect.).  I come from a family that values education (my Grandfather and Great uncle were vice president and president, respectively, of large catholic university in Philadelphia) and both of my sisters are teachers. But the greatest lessons in life I learned from my parents (To this day I still think about what I'm going to say before I say it, because I had years of my father saying engage brain before opening mouth. I learned educational things in school, I learned how to be a responsible person (and parent) from my parents (well my father...I can't say my mother taught me much of anything except what I don't want to be.) nerdy

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I only ask because the subject was brought up by he teacher during meet and greet last night and how her pay check is determined by it and what high expectations they are moving to. It was a bit inappropriate in location and time, but I understand she was trying to explain why she has high expectations.

My kids are at the top of their class, but for these at the bottom I feel bad because I feel like they are tracked that way and have no parental involvement and that is a shame. I have a neighbor whose kids has been passed along and is struggling to read. There is minimal involvement and it is all the teachers fault. They expect too much, there is too much work, they aren't fun enough. It pisses me off. So I think that it is a two way street...both parents and teachers. I put more emphasise on teachers because of their education. I also believe if the kids are just scraping by then the teachers need to start holding them back vs passing them along as it only compounds the problem. I'm a strong supporter of public education where there are teachers held accountable as. Well. As charter schools.
hcdeubof3
by Holly on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
And if I thought tere was a way to make parents become more involved vs acting like the school system was a babysitting center I'd be all for it!
MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I agree. I have two sisters, both are teachers.  The oldest teaches kindergarten and the other teaches High school English.  The kindergarten teacher told me that she has one kid in her class this year that is 7 years old!! I though she was kidding, but no she's not.  The kid went to head start for a year.  The mother is a single mom who blames everyone and anyone on why her kid started school late ("well no one told me that he needed to be in school at 5 years old.") the kid can't read or write and has no math skills what so ever (he doesn't know that 1+1=2).  All the because the mother didn't take time for him.  That is sad and I feel for what that kids live growing up is going to be like. 

The High School English teacher refuses to just pass kids along.  There are some kids that she failed (rightly so.  I you produce f work all year long you deserve to fail), the parents come into the principle to complain (and threatening to sue) and the next thing you know the kid is in the next grade level.  I don't get it. 

Quoting hcdeubof3:

And if I thought tere was a way to make parents become more involved vs acting like the school system was a babysitting center I'd be all for it!

lenoxclan
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

parents and teacher

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Quoting MaryanneMac:

That is incredibly sad. They are sponges! You don't even have to get a workbook out, crayons, buy anything even and you can teach the basics just by talking to them. In the grocery store...let's play the rynming game and evn make up words. The opposite game. Can you find some thing at starts with the /g/ sound. I could go on and on. Heck my 21 mos old knows what a star is because we have it on his walls and weve talked to him. Let's turn on you night-light the star.
hcdeubof3
by Holly on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Quoting MaryanneMac:

Yea I don't get the whole pass them along. The parents and teachers are doing a disservice to the child. I knew a woman a long time ago that was hired for the public school in Indianapolis and was told in her training not to fail them because the parents love their children and shed be blamed. I hunk it was a wake up call for her.

At the same notion I also don't believe in tenure. I have a best friend who is a terrible teacher, I wouldnt want my kid in her classroom, and because she as tenure she is there and she waited until then to ave a baby and ended up being sent home for he rest of the yer because the hormones were so bad and she is a functioning bipolar. I love her dearly, but that job isn't for her.

I went to school to be a teacher and I can honestly say that I would be so burnt out from it all.
MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It is sad.  My sister said there are 4 and 5 years old that are further along then this kid.  He doesn't know color's, he can't write is name, basically all he can do is nap time (and at 7 years old who needs a nap) and eat without any help.  He needs help when he has to use the bathroom. I really thought that she was joking when she said there was  7 year old in class. I was like wait shouldn't you be in second grade at 7 years old?? 

She said the mother is horrible.  She is 22 years old and has 5 kids and this one is the oldest.  The rest are all still in diapers (and one is 4.)  I have said it before and I'll say it again...SOME PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER BE PARENTS!!!

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Quoting MaryanneMac:

That is incredibly sad. They are sponges! You don't even have to get a workbook out, crayons, buy anything even and you can teach the basics just by talking to them. In the grocery store...let's play the rynming game and evn make up words. The opposite game. Can you find some thing at starts with the /g/ sound. I could go on and on. Heck my 21 mos old knows what a star is because we have it on his walls and weve talked to him. Let's turn on you night-light the star.

MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Quoting MaryanneMac:

Yea I don't get the whole pass them along. The parents and teachers are doing a disservice to the child. I knew a woman a long time ago that was hired for the public school in Indianapolis and was told in her training not to fail them because the parents love their children and shed be blamed. I hunk it was a wake up call for her.

At the same notion I also don't believe in tenure. I have a best friend who is a terrible teacher, I wouldnt want my kid in her classroom, and because she as tenure she is there and she waited until then to ave a baby and ended up being sent home for he rest of the yer because the hormones were so bad and she is a functioning bipolar. I love her dearly, but that job isn't for her.

I went to school to be a teacher and I can honestly say that I would be so burnt out from it all.

I so agree.  I'm kinda the black sheep in my family because I'm not a teacher.  I couldn't do it.  Todays kids have no idea what it's going to be like in the real world.

My sister that teaches High school actually agrees that there shouldn't be tenure.  She said there are some teachers at her school there that shouldn't be there.  Apperenlty there is a French teacher that does nothing but read the paper all day long.  She doesn't teach, she doesn't give tests, she doesn't do anything.  When people ask her why she says why bother with the snotty kids and spoiled parents that want to fault everyone but the kid. (Yeah I think it's time for her to get a new career).

My sister, tells the parents upfront what to expect, and she gives her students and parents a listing of what is and isn't allowed in her class (for instence she has a rule, no speaking in texting lingo.  OMG and LOL are not words, nor are they apart of the English language, if anyone is found to be using such terms she can and will fail you.) Both the parents and students have to sign the paper at the open house the first day of school.

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Quoting MaryanneMac:

Whoa....the kids need to e relcated
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)