Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Texas woman arrested for letting her kids play outside!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 5 Replies

LINK- to video

Allowing kids to play on scooters outside sounds normal enough, but a Texas mom was arrested and spent a night in jail after a neighbor complained about just that.

Police officers took the neighbor at her word, and a few hours after the call, arrested the mother for child endangerment; she is accused of letting them play unsupervised.

The arrested woman disputes what she calls a "humiliating" charge, saying that she was watching the kids, ages 6 and 9, the whole time from a lawn chair.

Things are now awkward between this mom and the other person who called the police.  What are your thoughts? 

save the date

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lenoxclan
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

my husband is a cop here in Texas, and he says there has to be more to it.

There is no law against letting your kids play outside unsupervised here in Texas.

He could NOT arrest her for child endangerment for this ESPECIALLY at the word of a neighbor.

Sooo, either something more went on, or this cop is a asshole and she needs to file a complaint.

hcdeubof3
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

omg!!! You have got to be kidding me.  That is totally insane. Not to mention that if the children at those ages are in front of you house playing even if riding to the end of the block and back is not worth being arrested over. At the age of 6 and 9 I think kids should be able to out in the front yard and the back yard without some supervision. The neighbor would have a field day in our neighborhood, because about every family lets their kids roam the neighnorhood at that age. I dont' let mine.

I agree that there ahs to be more to it.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I guess I would have to know more about the situation.

SweetPea2004
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I am in Tx and have never heard of this, I sit outside with her while she rides her scooter.
MaryanneMac
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I read this, I beleive the arrested mother is now suing both the neighbor and the police dept.  It's bad enough that kids don't play outside enough, but when the do the parents get in trouble...nonesense!! I hope there is more to this, if not then is applies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)