Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Using Social Media to punish a teenager

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep seeing all these articles about teenage children being punished by their parents through social media. For example, the woman who made her daughter wear a sign saying something to the effect that she was caught drinking on a social media site and now she wasnt going to be on it anymore. Or the man who shot his daughters computer. Do you think that this is a good way to punish a teenager? Or do you think it is a humilation that is similiar to bullying? I dont have teenagers, but I am curious on your opinions.

baby
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Replies (101-109):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yea, I wondered that too, if the person didn't hear it the first time when she walked by, she defiinitely heard during the apology, and that part might have been humiliating for the person.

Quoting Hyman:

I think this part is interesting:

"I remember being in a resturaunt and I was sitting on the end. A large lady walked past my table and I held up my hands apart and told my brother what a huge butt the lady had. My dad marched me over there to apologize for my actions. I was very embarrassed to do so. Never did so again."

I feel like that could be a good lesson to teach your child. If my son did that ever - he's 14 months old- I wonder if that's appropriate.

Would it hurt the persons feelings tho? And would it be public humiliation?

Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

Mine too. :)

I guess it depends on the circumstance that my child has found them-self needing to be punished.  If what they were doing has to do with a social media, than I think it would be appropriate. But I don't think I would for most things.

I read an article about a father who made his son wear a sign and I beleive a clown wig, and the sign said "I'm the class clown in school, and don't want to study." Something like that. I think that was an appropriate punishment. Even the boy saif he understood what his father was trying to teach him.

Being humilated can be a powerful lesson.

I remember being in a resturaunt and I was sitting on the end. A large lady walked past my table and I held up my hands apart and told my brother what a huge butt the lady had. My dad marched me over there to apologize for my actions. I was very embarrassed to do so. Never did so again.

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

The 3 year old is ridiculous. That's just stupidity on the parents part.

The dad who shot his daughters laptop is my hero. He told her if she did it again he'd put a bullet in it. She did it again, he followed through. More parents need to learn how to follow through with what they say.

baby
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I was in public and felt very embarrassed but don't think it quite qualifies as public humilation. :)

It was more of an example that humilation/embarrassment can be used to teach a good lesson.

Quoting Hyman:

"I remember being in a resturaunt and I was sitting on the end. A large lady walked past my table and I held up my hands apart and told my brother what a huge butt the lady had. My dad marched me over there to apologize for my actions. I was very embarrassed to do so. Never did so again."

I feel like that could be a good lesson to teach your child. If my son did that ever - he's 14 months old- I wonder if that's appropriate.

Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

I guess it depends on the circumstance that my child has found them-self needing to be punished.  If what they were doing has to do with a social media, than I think it would be appropriate. But I don't think I would for most things.

I read an article about a father who made his son wear a sign and I beleive a clown wig, and the sign said "I'm the class clown in school, and don't want to study." Something like that. I think that was an appropriate punishment. Even the boy saif he understood what his father was trying to teach him.

I remember being in a resturaunt and I was sitting on the end. A large lady walked past my table and I held up my hands apart and told my brother what a huge butt the lady had. My dad marched me over there to apologize for my actions. I was very embarrassed to do so. Never did so again.

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

The dad who shot his daughters laptop is my hero. He told her if she did it again he'd put a bullet in it. She did it again, he followed through. More parents need to learn how to follow through with what they say.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I wasn't very quiet about it. She probably did hear me. I said "I'm sorry for making fun of you". Not "Sorry I called you a big butted fat person" :)

Quoting jbyrd898:

Yea, I wondered that too, if the person didn't hear it the first time when she walked by, she defiinitely heard during the apology, and that part might have been humiliating for the person.

Quoting Hyman:

Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

omm76002
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Sorry I disagree! Why should I have to worry about how people can twist and LIE about a picture that was a cute joke! Why can't the world blame the people who LIED not the people who took it to be funny. People stop getting involved in someone else's life. About the teenager things, if parents want to punish their kids for something, then let them. At least their not letting their kids do whatever they want.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's still one of those times that people really should think before posting stuff.  You just never know how things will be interpreted or skewed. 

Quoting MumaSue:

There is an article about that photo ... is was sent in as a funny. The father happily cleaned up the poop without fuss but thought it would be funny to do a toddler version of the animal pics .... such as the dog ripping up the clothing. Then the Today Show got hold of it, changed the photo and put a totally different spin on it because their ratings were going down the pan. They made it look like it was a series of photos and blurred out the face because she little girl was giggling and having fun. Absolutely blown out of proportion and twisted in an attempt to make money with no thought to the family at all. Before the Today Show got hold of it most of the comments were humorous after the Today Show got hold of it the family has received 1000s of death threats .... yes it's ridiculous on the part of the Today Show for not caring about who they mess up.

Here is the link to the article

http://casuallama.org/not-today/

Quoting sheena696:

Have you seen the picture a man posted of his 3 year old holding a sign saying "I pooped in the shower and daddy had to clean it up" It said something else about how she gives him permission to use the picture when she is a teen or something. And there is scribble that is supposed to be her signature. I think it all is ridiculous.

christibearb
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My husband and I used it. Our 15 year old, who was an A student, began failing classes, using homework time to spend chatting with friends on the computer, started lying and forged a teacher's signature. My husband went to her Facebook page and stated to all her "friends" that she was grounded for a month or until her behavior improved and that any "I'm her friend and I know better than you parents" comments would result in the addition of another week of being grounded. We also took away the cell phone. While we had her computer, my husband installed a keylogger program on it to monitor her when she did get the computer back. As for her friends, only one caused a problem and caused another two weeks of being grounded until our daughter stood up to her friend and told her, "I screwed up and I'm paying the consequences. My parents are right." This was just this past March and as of today, she has straight A's and is back to being her well-behaved, helpful, responsible self. Every kids goes through some rebellion (did similar stuff myself at her age) but it takes being a parent, not their friend, to get them through it. With five siblings after her who saw how serious we were about the consequences for her actions, they have all been behaving very well.

Jadegirl1819
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Of course that is the way it should be. Unfortunately we live in the real world and people turn things around.  People need to realize that.  Have you seen the "funny" posts on here that have pictures of people with embarrassing captions?  Or People of Walmart, etc?  It's what people do.  It's not kind but that's the way it is. 

With the amount of teens that have been committing suicide because of classmates bullying them and humiliating them I think this kind of discipline is a very bad idea.  kids should be able to know their parents are their for them and will never go out of their way to humiliate them in front of thousands of people.  If the thought of embarrassing my child like that ever crosses my mind I will know that I have failed as a parent. 

Quoting omm76002:

Sorry I disagree! Why should I have to worry about how people can twist and LIE about a picture that was a cute joke! Why can't the world blame the people who LIED not the people who took it to be funny. People stop getting involved in someone else's life. About the teenager things, if parents want to punish their kids for something, then let them. At least their not letting their kids do whatever they want.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's still one of those times that people really should think before posting stuff.  You just never know how things will be interpreted or skewed. 

Quoting MumaSue:

There is an article about that photo ... is was sent in as a funny. The father happily cleaned up the poop without fuss but thought it would be funny to do a toddler version of the animal pics .... such as the dog ripping up the clothing. Then the Today Show got hold of it, changed the photo and put a totally different spin on it because their ratings were going down the pan. They made it look like it was a series of photos and blurred out the face because she little girl was giggling and having fun. Absolutely blown out of proportion and twisted in an attempt to make money with no thought to the family at all. Before the Today Show got hold of it most of the comments were humorous after the Today Show got hold of it the family has received 1000s of death threats .... yes it's ridiculous on the part of the Today Show for not caring about who they mess up.

Here is the link to the article

http://casuallama.org/not-today/

Quoting sheena696:

Have you seen the picture a man posted of his 3 year old holding a sign saying "I pooped in the shower and daddy had to clean it up" It said something else about how she gives him permission to use the picture when she is a teen or something. And there is scribble that is supposed to be her signature. I think it all is ridiculous.

celticgodess
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM

some make sense, some are ridiculous, some bad parenting, but bullying?  No.  I think parents can bully their children, but the examples you gave aren't even close IMO 

swati88
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
no.i don't think its good!! 3 years old is bit much too!!
toomanygone1130
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM

My daughter is only 5, but I can't imagine that kind of punishment is very smart. To me it seems like a quick way to loose your child's respect and get them to hate you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "don't do anything that will make your child hate you", that's not what I'm saying at all! To me simply making them shut down they're their facebook page or taking away their access to social networks should be punishment enough. Making them wear embarrassing signs and then posting pictures of it on facebook is just humiliating, and a quick way to loose their respect. If my daughter hates me for punishing her then so be it. I have faith that one day she will understand why I do the things I do. And just as I have with my parent (they were tuff, but wonderful) I appreciate all the tuff love they gave me. And I respect them, and have great relationships with them now. Because yes they punished me when the time called for it, but they never did anything to humiliate me. I hope to accomplish the same thing with my daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)