Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Can this really happen?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM
  • 11 Replies

Grandparents can take you to court to fight for visitation and claim you are unfairly not letting them see their grandchildren? 

I'm asking because I read an article on TMZ today...yes I'm bad. Do people really do this and can this happen for normal people?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babybear89
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

yes its mostly for the ones that had primary custody of the child then the parents take them away but others abuse it when they cross boundries and aren't allowed to see the kid 

hcdeubof3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

gotcha. I think it just struck a cord because I am currently not visiting or talking to my parents. They claim to want a relationship with my kids that is more than just buying them crap, but they haven't called or written or anything. So, I guess it isnt that I'm not talking to them I'm waiting for them to grow up and stop wanting to buy my children's affection and love. 

Quoting Babybear89:

yes its mostly for the ones that had primary custody of the child then the parents take them away but others abuse it when they cross boundries and aren't allowed to see the kid 

Babybear89
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Oh yeah that has to be hard
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.3xBlessed.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Yes, that can really happen. My grandparents took my mother to court for visitation with me-and they won. So, she did what any sensible patent would do- she kidnapped me and moved across the country.

She should thank her lucky stars that I found them ten years later, and that they were still alive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sonata8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Yes 

.3xBlessed.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM
My ex husbands mother threatens to take me to court all the time. It is to my advantage that both she and her son are complete idiots and would never be able to figure out how to do it.

We don't see either of my parents, either of my husbands parents, our either of my ex husbands parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sonata8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I heard of it happening once when the father died and the mother moved to another state and wouldn't talk to the father's parents, wouldn't let the kids see them, etc., they filed to get court ordered visitations. 

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I've heard of it happening before, but i think it takes a lot.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I think so, I think I read something about this somewhere before.

hcdeubof3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Wow....at the responses....so it begs the question...do they really have a right? I get that if there are cutody issues, but isn't it to the parents disgresion? I can't imagine taking someone to court like that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)