Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Pregnant Woman Gets Stopped for Speeding and Delivers Baby on side of road

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this on the stir. Have you known anyone that has not made it to the hospital to give birth (assuming they wanted to of course)?

Pregnancy

OMG

Pregnant Woman Gets Stopped for Speeding & Delivers Baby on Side of the Road

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on November 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

police lightsWhen I was pregnant, I dreamed of that race to the hospital and worried about all of the things that could happen en route to prevent me from getting there. Two medically necessary scheduled C-sections meant none of them happened to me, but I'm always fascinated by stories of those to whom they do.

Take this woman from Bellville, Ontario, who got stopped for speeding while she was in labor this weekend. There she was just trying to get to the hospital in time when she saw the flashing lights of a police officer. So she pulled over, with one heck of a good excuse.

That's when the police officer got what was probably the biggest surprise of his career.

According to Quinte News, the baby was on its way right then and there. The officer determined there was no time to get to the hospital, so he went into action. There, on the side of the road, he helped her deliver her baby boy, which she named Dakota.

Mother and baby are reportedly doing just fine, and fortunately the officer didn't issue a ticket in this case. (Can you imagine if he did?!) So it was a happy ending all around, but what a birth story.

If I were her, I think I might have just kept going when I heard the sirens and explained myself at the hospital. But if she was that far along, it may have been best that she did stop for the officer instead of being alone and trying to deliver her baby by herself a little farther down the road. I'm just glad all turned out well.

As heart-dropping as I find stories like this, I also find them strangely reassuring. So often we build up birth to be this complicated, orchestrated event, but really -- in most situations -- our bodies know what to do, and babies enter the world just fine no matter where mom so happens to be at the time.

If you were in labor and speeding, would you pull over for a police officer?

baby
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Replies (11-16):
ohboymommyof2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Both times were around midnight hubby didn't speed to much but did make an illegal u turn to get into the hospital haha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Bet the cop was wishing he hadnt pulled her over too! LOL

I would pull over for a police officer...Hell IF I saw one while headed to the hpsital I'd follow his ass..LOL

Of course, Id have also called  911 before driving myself..Driving at high rates of speed while having contractions is just asking for a bad accident IMO

Threes.Company
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yes, I would pull over.  If it were THAT immediate, an ambulance should have been called anyway, rather than potentially delivering IN the car!  Not to mention it would be unsafe to drive through serious contractions, which could easily cause you to not pay attention fully to what is happening on the road!

tamidawn
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Wow, crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I had to go in without eating...I went in on a Friday and couldn't eat anything until after I had her, on Monday morning...

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting Iluvmy2kiddies:

I had to be induced both times, we took our time getting there!

I was induced too. I stopped somewhere to eat something!

StacyO722
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

DH wanted to run the red lights and speed like crazy...lol. I didn't feel like I needed to hurry, and it ended up I didn't. I went into labor at 1015pm, we left for the hospital about 1130. Ended up having an emergency c-section at 220pm the next day.

This next time I'll have a scheduled c-section, so no racing the police for us...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN