Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching your kids martial arts

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM
  • 8 Replies

It's not all about punching and kicking.  The most useful thing you can teach a young child about martial arts is how to execute a proper break-fall.

A break-fall is a method used to minimize the risk of injury when falling to the ground, and it is easy to do, with practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLYbhqBaJI

The above link is an example of how the move is executed during sparring.

When practicing a break fall with your child, it is best to use your bed or a blow-up mattress, so that you can avoid pain if and when a mistake is made, and so that confidence can build when executing the maneuver.  It is imperative, though, to explain to your child that the move won't make it so that falls don't hurt, but that they can prevent injury and major "boo boo's".

To practice, start in the standing position.  Choose which way you are going to fall (on left or right side).  Turn your head in the opposite direction, bend the knee of the opposite leg of the side you're going to fall (so that the foot is off the ground), and let yourself fall to the side chosen.  Upon impact, extend the impacting-side arm, and ensure your hand is open, so that you can "slap" the ground.  To practice the move falling backwards, tuck your chin into your chest, extend both arms, and fall, similarly "slapping" the ground.  Practice the move on each side and backwards multiple times, and watch your child so that you can monitor the accuracy of their execution.

When practicing all sorts of maneuvers in the military, we used sayings, or "ditties", to help remember what to do.  For this exercise, an example of a ditty would be "turn the head, lift the leg, and slap the ground".  You can use any ditty you can think of to make the move easier for your child.

This move is great for all sorts of situations, from falling off the jungle gym to losing balance during playtime.  With practice, it can become second nature, and you can feel comfort in knowing you have minimized your child's risk of serious injury!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melschlegs
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Bump!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks for sharing. I think martial arts can be good for children.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I took kempo as a kid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suebee3
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Great post and completely agree!

Both my girls are taking Blackcat Kenpo and are pre-testing for their greens belts this weekend.  It is great for their self confidence, great exercise, concentration and for learning to keep themselves safe.  As soon as my son is fully potty trained he will start too.  I also started taking the adult class and earned my yellow belt.  

melschlegs
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I think martial arts is great for kids! I understand there are moms who don't want their kids involved because there is a certain level of violence to it, and that's okay, but I really wanted to show that it's not all about that, and that there are certain things you can learn that are nonviolent and very beneficial. Good luck on your training!

Quoting suebee3:

Both my girls are taking Blackcat Kenpo and are pre-testing for their greens belts this weekend.  It is great for their self confidence, great exercise, concentration and for learning to keep themselves safe.  As soon as my son is fully potty trained he will start too.  I also started taking the adult class and earned my yellow belt.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suebee3
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting melschlegs:

I think martial arts is great for kids! I understand there are moms who don't want their kids involved because there is a certain level of violence to it, and that's okay, but I really wanted to show that it's not all about that, and that there are certain things you can learn that are nonviolent and very beneficial. Good luck on your training!

Quoting suebee3:

Thank you!!

Their teacher is a retired police officer.  He teaches them how to be able to protect themselves if it is needed.  He even requires all students to show him their reports cards every marking period to make sure they are keeping their grades up.  It is not about hurting someone just because you can.   

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I'd love to have Brad get into martial arts. There really are not any great teachers around here though.

MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

my kids are too young now, but when they get older I can see them getting into Martial Arts

Maryanne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)