Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Screen Time

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you manage screen time with your children? My son has a tablet now he loves. How much time do you let your little one's play interactive games?

baby
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eds6619
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I don't b/c they are really good about playing with actual toys.  My oldest is the only one with any type of screen; a Fisher Price IXL.  Well, they did get toy laptops for Chrismtas, but they love their regular toys.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

she is honestly more interested in books and other toys so when she does want to play with her innotab i let her and she loses interest in about  20 mins

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

30 min. on school days after school work is done. 1 hr. on weekends. This includes DS, Wii, and computer....

MaryanneMac
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
My kids only like my tablet as something to suck on. They will sometimes sit on my lap while I am working or writing my paper but that's about it.

Maryanne

.3xBlessed.
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I have been really weaning the kids off of electronics and trying to make them play with real toys more. They read plenty, though. Their stupid father keeps sending them more electronics, despite my threats.

He started with a ds and a Wii.
When they broke the ds, I bought them a v reader and a mobigo, but then he bought them a leapster and a 3ds.
The next birthday/Christmas, he got them an Android tablet and each an iPod. This last one, he gave them a ps3 and remote control cars. He's constantly sending them movies and games... I'm so sick of it.

I grew up without TV, so I became an avid reader. He grew up with a working single mother, and was raised by TV and video games. No matter how much I fight him on it, he believes it's the right way to raise children.

I go through periods like right now, where I lock all of the electronics in my office for weeks at a time, and disconnect the cable, so we can get back to playing with toys, reading, and playing board games as a family. I hate technology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklybubbles
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I use electronics as a reward.. they can earn 10 minutes of play time for different things.. chores done, homework done, ect...

lenoxclan
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

They got DSI's and Tablets for Christmas..mostly they play games. We still give them a computer time(we try for once a week)

As long as they are being active(doing some physical activity play wise)and making good grades, we dont limit tv, game times.

When they get computer time, they play games there too..But, they navigate the sites themselves(still have to occasionally help 5yr old)and I think it's a good teaching tool, on them learning the ins and outs of a computer.

Red_Kitten
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

The kids get an hour 2 days per week....less if their grades start slipping.  We also let them have an hour on weekends and they can do chores to earn a little extra time, we have a chart set up so they know what they have to do.  This includes games/youtube on their phones because otherwise they'd never put them down!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting Red_Kitten:

The kids get an hour 2 days per week....less if their grades start slipping.  We also let them have an hour on weekends and they can do chores to earn a little extra time, we have a chart set up so they know what they have to do.  This includes games/youtube on their phones because otherwise they'd never put them down!

How old are your children?

baby
sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Not really because even though they do watch tv they don't just sit there and do nothing all day long..they will go play in their room, or play playdoh, color, etc....and we will go outside.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)