Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu season is here

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

Back to School and the Flu: Keeping Your School Age Children Healthy

September 8, 2010

Perhaps no factor is more important to ensuring a child’s education than good health. As children across the country head back to school, it’s important that both kids and parents remember 5 simple steps to preventing flu:

1. Get Vaccinated. Vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu. Although traditional flu season does not start until October, vaccine is already available in doctor’s offices and drug stores across the country.
  2. Encourage health hygiene in your home. Remind kids to wash their hand and cover their mouths when they cough.
  3. Keep your kids’ play areas and toys clean. Use sanitizing wipes to wipe down toys, video games, and the computer.
  4. If you’re child is sick, keep them home from school.
  5. Visit www.Flu.gov for the latest news on flu, locate vaccine, and for more tips on how to keep your family healthy this flu season.

Teaching kids about flu prevention can be challenging. That’s why Flu.gov teamed up with some of kids’ favorite television characters to help teach good health habits. Check out these videos to learn more.

Sid the Science Kid: Getting a Shot: You can do it!

Sid The Science Kid | Getting a Shot: You can do it! (Full Episode)
Oct 26, 2009 | 28:08

Elmo & Rosita The Right Way to Sneeze

Elmo & Rosita: The Right Way to Sneeze!
0:30

Elmo y Rosita La Manera Correcta de Estornudar

Elmo y Rosita: La Manera Correcta de Estornudar
0:30

And, this fall, getting a flu vaccine will be even easier. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, new health plans beginning on or after September 23, 2010, must cover flu vaccines without charging patients a co-payment, coinsurance or deductible when they are vaccinated through a network provider.

Www.flu.gov

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We all got flu shots so hopefully, we won't get it!!

Maryanne

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

the kids all have theirs. dh and I are not getting one. 

eds6619
by Emily on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

both my girls have had their flu shots, which was a first for us.  I still need to get mine.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM

We don't do flu shots and this is the first time we have had to deal with the flu. I still kinda wonder if the kids even had it.

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

yea, it is always really hard to know the right thing to do sometimes. 

Quoting sheena696:

We don't do flu shots and this is the first time we have had to deal with the flu. I still kinda wonder if the kids even had it.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
No flu shots here
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

We don't do flu shots either.

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

yea, well a lot more out there that can be done other than vaccinating and I thought tis the season. 

eds6619
by Emily on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I heard this morning there are 90 reported cases in our county and we're actually not one of the worst states.

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
We and our kids don't get flu shots and I am currently at the doctor with my boys who both have the flu! :( FML...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)