Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Was I mean?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

Part of me says yes and part of me says nope I was safe. I had to go to DD's school today and drop her off because she missed the bus. You now have to push the intercom outside the building, state why you are there and who you are, enter, and wait for someone to buzz you into the office portion. Well, I was leaving and Gage was taking forever to get out the door. He is two and little legs. A mom was coming up and I blocked her access to the building as Gage was coming out and made sure the door closed before unblocking it. She looked at me and then said, "I guess I need to push the button?" All I said was yep and kept on going.  

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by Beth on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM

yeah, that's a tough one.

I had the same problem when I left the NICU everyday visiting my babies. The floor of the NICU was locked and you had to check in at the desk to say who you were visiting. A few times I closed the door real quick if the receptionist was away from her desk.

Yeah, maybe some will think we are kinda rude. But as moms we gotta protect our kids first.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Might have been slightly annoying to the woman, but ultimately who cares...That little inconvenience of having to push the button is a safety measure that protects her child as well as many others. That is all that matters. Unless it was someone I knew personally, I would have done the same thing.

MaryanneMac
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

She may not have been happy with you, but I think you did the right thing

Maryanne

DakotaHaley
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No, I don't think you were mean. That's why the intercom thing is there. And after all that has happened I would do the same.

eds6619
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

No not at all.  In this day and age and with all that's happened recently I don't think so at all.

Maybe call the school and ask them to send a reminder out that everyone has to obey the security policies and that no one is to be letting anyone in the door.

At least your school has a good security system.  We have nothing.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

She can push the button, just like you did. I don' t think that was mean. 

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

no. it's for safety reasons. we have doors with badge access at work. I never hold the door for someone coming in behind me. I figure they need to use their badge!

TwinsFanMama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Nope, not mean at all. She should actually thank you for keeping her child that much safer!

I'm a teacher and it would make me very angry to see parents holding the door for others. My opinion is if I am going to keep my classroom safe, I need to maintain control of who comes in. That's why I keep my classroom door locked all day every day. Your school has a buzzer system for that same reason. They can't maintain control of their building if they don't know who's in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eds6619
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I couldn't agree more!  Well said!

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

Nope, not mean at all. She should actually thank you for keeping her child that much safer!

I'm a teacher and it would make me very angry to see parents holding the door for others. My opinion is if I am going to keep my classroom safe, I need to maintain control of who comes in. That's why I keep my classroom door locked all day every day. Your school has a buzzer system for that same reason. They can't maintain control of their building if they don't know who's in it.

TwinsFanMama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Thanks! :)

Quoting eds6619:

I couldn't agree more!  Well said!

Quoting TwinsFanMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)