Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decisions, Decisions...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today I was offered a job, basically it's my job now, except I won't be working for the government, I'd be working for a contractor.  The pay is about the same, benefits are a better, plus I could work from home full time.  I would have to travel sometimes (but I do that now). 

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugdoodle313
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Congrats!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

The being able to work home full time would be the pull for me. lol Yesterday was Jasons last day where he was working. He got a similar job offer (minus the working from home). Last year literally days after he got his raise, the main lawyer where he was at announced he was leaving. Long story short, he wanted Jason to eventually leave too and go with him. The pay was about the same, but the benefits were hugely different and that alone is going to save us hundreds. So, that was definitely a factor in his decision.  

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I think it sounds great to be able to work from home. Is it a contractor job with the government? Dont they usually still get the same benefits and everything.

MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I work for the government now, this is with a government contractor (it's a private company but all of it's contracts are with the federal government).

Quoting jbyrd898:

I think it sounds great to be able to work from home. Is it a contractor job with the government? Dont they usually still get the same benefits and everything.

aj2011
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Congrats! That sounds like a good thing. Being home with your child(ren) is always a good thing. I hope you do well in your new job

Babybear89
by Gracey on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Oh how awesome
hcdeubof3
by Holly on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

that's a hard one. What about retirement plans and pension? I know there is talk of dipping into the gov't dipping into federal employees pensions now. Also, how easily would you be able to move if need be? Do you work from home now or would that be a BIG change? 

MaryanneMac
by Maryanne on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting hcdeubof3:

that's a hard one. What about retirement plans and pension? I know there is talk of dipping into the gov't dipping into federal employees pensions now. Also, how easily would you be able to move if need be? Do you work from home now or would that be a BIG change? 

The feds are always threatening to dip into our retirement or change the laws to make it easier to dip into our retirement. I really won't need to move, it is the exact same job for the agency, the only difference is that I would not work for the government.  I work from home two days a week now, so working from home the other two won't be that big a change.

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That's awesome! Congrats!

eds6619
by Emily on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Sounds great!!! Congrats!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)