Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

school is really starting to aggrivate me

Posted by   + Show Post

Soooo in the middle of the year, they're reteaching the kindgertners D'Nealian...after they've learned Block letters in preschool and all first semester.  So silly.  If they were going to be teaching it(which I don't care for) they should have started in the beginning of the year.

Seriously...homeschool is really starting to be appealing to us.  We hate public school....especially the one she would go to based on where we live.  Homeschool is the only other option b/c Catholic school is also not a choice for us. 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

i just heard od d'nealian on facebook earlier and a close friend raving about it....now I have to go google it to find out what the heck your talking about. 

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I saw something come home on math and the difference of adding in today's standards vs. how we learned it. Frankly, they have only complicated it vs. making it easier. I swear people think they have made things so much easier, but I think by doing things this way they actually make our kids dumber. What is wrong with just shoiwing the kids how to carry numbers or to borrow when subracting. seriously! 

Quoting sheena696:

One thing that is really irritating to me is the way they teach math now. Last year I was helping Brad with his homework and he was like "mom, that's not how you do it!" It was all very confusing to me. lol

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I just googled and I dont' know the difference. Maybe block letters in preschool is just a foundation and now they are building on that and fine tuning it because the kids now have better fine motor skills? Maybe they start it at the middle because of what the priorities are. I know some kids will enter school without knowing how to write at all. What would you like the kids to be taught? I'm asking because I see nohting wrong with this form or writing nor the problem. Am I missing something? 

eds6619
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I just think its goofy and looks sloppy. The point is to make cursive easier, but thats silly.  I learned block and didn't have any issues learning cursive.  I think thats a lazy excuse.  This is just the icing on the cake for me for the school.  I've always hated it...even when it first started and I didn't have kids.  They are starting in the middle of the year b/c the school has decided to change their ways in the middle...which is what is really irritating me.  Why change in the middle.  This isn't the only thing that is bothering me with the school.  They've had a bunch of difficulties this year and I told them yesterday we weren't getting out $$$ worth.  Its been a frustrating year with them.  I know I'm not the only one complaing either.  I've heard of a few families considering leaving b/c of their problems....MOST of which stem to the administrator.  He needs to go.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

I just googled and I dont' know the difference. Maybe block letters in preschool is just a foundation and now they are building on that and fine tuning it because the kids now have better fine motor skills? Maybe they start it at the middle because of what the priorities are. I know some kids will enter school without knowing how to write at all. What would you like the kids to be taught? I'm asking because I see nohting wrong with this form or writing nor the problem. Am I missing something? 

eds6619
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Its really just personal preferance for me and if she were in public this is what she would be learning.  I was just excited when we started here that they didn't use this method. 

sheena696
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Quoting hcdeubof3:

I saw something come home on math and the difference of adding in today's standards vs. how we learned it. Frankly, they have only complicated it vs. making it easier. I swear people think they have made things so much easier, but I think by doing things this way they actually make our kids dumber. What is wrong with just shoiwing the kids how to carry numbers or to borrow when subracting. seriously! 

Quoting sheena696:

One thing that is really irritating to me is the way they teach math now. Last year I was helping Brad with his homework and he was like "mom, that's not how you do it!" It was all very confusing to me. lol

Oh the multiplication is ridiculous. Brad had to show me the way to do it when I was the one that was supposed to be helping him. lol The way they do things now is just nuts. I am so relieve he doesn't need my help often. lol

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

ahhh gotcha...I didnt' learn block and our school doesn't teach block so I didn't realize there was a difference. 

Quoting eds6619:

I just think its goofy and looks sloppy. The point is to make cursive easier, but thats silly.  I learned block and didn't have any issues learning cursive.  I think thats a lazy excuse.  This is just the icing on the cake for me for the school.  I've always hated it...even when it first started and I didn't have kids.  They are starting in the middle of the year b/c the school has decided to change their ways in the middle...which is what is really irritating me.  Why change in the middle.  This isn't the only thing that is bothering me with the school.  They've had a bunch of difficulties this year and I told them yesterday we weren't getting out $$$ worth.  Its been a frustrating year with them.  I know I'm not the only one complaing either.  I've heard of a few families considering leaving b/c of their problems....MOST of which stem to the administrator.  He needs to go.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

eds6619
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

there are other things bothering me, this is just the thing I vented about. :)

Quoting hcdeubof3:

ahhh gotcha...I didnt' learn block and our school doesn't teach block so I didn't realize there was a difference. 

Quoting eds6619:

Quoting hcdeubof3:

eds6619
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Do you remember "new math" when we were about in 4th grade or so....casting out 9's they called it.  ARGH......the downfall of my entire mathematical career.

Quoting sheena696:

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Quoting sheena696:

Oh the multiplication is ridiculous. Brad had to show me the way to do it when I was the one that was supposed to be helping him. lol The way they do things now is just nuts. I am so relieve he doesn't need my help often. lol

sheena696
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It sounds familiar but I had to google it. And then my brain started hurting so I had to stop reading. lol I actually wasn't that terrible at math in school, but I sure did hate it. I especially hate it now that they have changed everything. I am really dreading when Brad starts Algebra, specifically Algebra II. For some reason I did really bad in that one class. (which is part the fault of the teacher) 

Quoting eds6619:

Do you remember "new math" when we were about in 4th grade or so....casting out 9's they called it.  ARGH......the downfall of my entire mathematical career.

Quoting sheena696:

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Quoting sheena696:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN