Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you do learning activities with your young children? Or did you?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was shocked to discover recently that a large amount of children entering kindergarten do no know their ABC's, can't count, and have trouble with basic English like recognizing how to put simple sentences together. I was told by a pre-school teacher that if the parents won't work with the child at home then what they're learning in pre-school won't be enough to give them a basic start in Kindergarten.

We have all sorts of things we do just for fun around our house. We count things for fun. I've read to my children since birth. I also have index cards up all over the house that have the names for things on them. For instance I have one on the door that says "door," one on the microwave that says "microwave." My 3 year old can say her ABC's and recognizes almost all of the letters (she mixes up V and Y on sight and often skips N when saying her ABC's). She can also count to 30. She's learning some basic three letter words like dog, cat, hug.

My 2 year old can count to 10 and can say her ABC's about half the time without mistakes, and recognizes a lot of the letters already. My three year old speaks very well for her age, but my two year old still struggles to speak clearly (she'll be 3 in April).

I don't actively WORK with my kids, these are just fun things we do. We count, we sing, we read, and draw and write. We also do puzzles, mazes, and work on things like color by number pictures (though really my three year old just colors the number not the whole section). I didn't realize how much work goes into preparing your child for school, but I guess we're on the right track.

What sort of learning activities do you or did you do with your children? Did you start doing them just to get them ready for school or was it just something you always did? I can remember actively working with my SD on things but that was after she'd started school and was struggling a little bit with things like learning to count money, recognize patterns, struggle with spelling and sight words.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jers.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

it's scary and those are the kids who get all the attention and hold back the others.  My son's gifted and talented program had to be cut, so these kids could  get the extra help they need.   Thanks lazy parents.

MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That's a shame! I remember when SD was in Kindergarten and she was considered ahead of the rest of her class when she couldn't do so many things that I thought she should have already been doing by the time kindergarten started. I think that's where our learning activities started. I started doing things with her and they just stemmed over into activities I do with my younger children.

Quoting Jers.:

it's scary and those are the kids who get all the attention and hold back the others.  My son's gifted and talented program had to be cut, so these kids could  get the extra help they need.   Thanks lazy parents.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM
how sad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eds6619
by Emily on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Yes, I work with my kids.

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Kindergarten now is the equivalent of what 1st grade was for us. I think it is an uphill battle that can also be a slippery slope. I have two older children that are above average in school. Yet, my 2 yr old is just figuring out his colors, shapes, animal sounds, and just figured out how to count to 10. I've done nothing different, but even watching home movies he is farther behind than my older two. He is in speech therapy and is coming a long ways. 

I think preschool is almost a must because no matter if your child is advanced or just getting by it helps mainstream the kids and make the learning area more level. 

I think working with your children is essential to them learning and a building block to relationship with them. Kids are sponges! At the same time, and even more so now that I have a child who is slower, kids learn and move at different rates. Not all the blame can be put on parents. Yet, there are parents who will take this as an excuse to not do anything and leave it for other to do and that is a shame. Do what you can, be a partner with your child's teacher preschool or other. 

Things we do...workbooks, learning games that are fun and they have no idea they are learning, cooking (using fractions or help mom keep count), make play dough....hmmm what color should  we make and how do we make that color?, we have a shape sorter: choose a color/shape, go down the slide then put the shape in. We are doing this with my son. One he has to say the color/shape and the slide...is just a way to make it fun. The saying it gets him talking! paint: do lots of crafts....count things out name the colors. Look at books and read them...can you find the ...... in the picture? What does it say? Is that character happy? Why? Major reading tools because they are drawing not only from the words from the book but from the pictures. Sometiems the pictures can foreshadow what might happen. Drawing conclusions and asking questions while reading helps build reading comprehension for later. 

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Sight words: bingo...make a board game...if you roll the die and land on the word you have to say it, if you can't say the word you have to stay where you are. flashlight tag with words (never done this, but was suggested by a teacher), fish for sightwords if you knwo it you get to keep it if not you have to throw it back in. 

money counting.....start with one group at a time maybe.....pennies are great....learn to count by 1's, 2's, 5's, 10s and put them in groups.....move on to the next.....what is different between the penny and the nickle or thedime? Then do the same money games....count by 10s....make piles of pennies to show how they are equal. as you go maybe either get worksheets, make your own, or even play store....hmmmm can you pay me 7 cents for that apple you want for snack? What would I need? They dont' get it....ahh...let me show you one way...can you show me another? hold out even....firm, but gentle (I have to do this soemtimes with my older children to challenge them because sometimes they get in a mode of I"m too smart) 

For patterns: get some fruit loops and make a snack necklace....lets make a pattern...once you are done...eat it! Kids like this because they can eat the creation. 

spellcity.com has some fun games on the computer that my kids like. I don't pay and only do the free stuff because I'm cheap. I dont' let my kids use the computer or electronics more than 30 min a day, so to be on this website doing spelling and it not counting towards electronic time they love! I also have made my own alphabet cards and mixed a word up and they have to unscramble it. or they scamble the word up and you have to try and unscramble it and they have to check the work from memory. :) 

hcdeubof3
by Holly on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM

oh and you sound like you are very much on the right track and doing a great job! Keep up the great work...sorry to make such long posts and post so much. 

Morrigan333
by Rhianne on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yes, when my dd was just an infant i read to her, and i used flash cards and she watched alotof those Baby Einstein videos(with me) and she learned alot. She got HeadStart pre-school in the local elementary when she was 3 and 4. Kindergarten went well, but she was often"distracted", but at tat time she seemed to get the content(she was asked later and she put it all together well). However, 1st gr was a real stuggle and pretty much every grade since that(she's in 6th now) . Sring 2012 she was tested at Kennedy Krieger Institute and was dx with Sensory Processing Disorder)SPD) However, her current middle school refusued to acknowledge tthat dx or accept it so her struggle goes ON and ON. Public schools are stupid..tyeh KNOW what will help a child with LD yet they prevent the parent from getting their children any services to alleviate it or to at least make it workable for these kids.

MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Thank you! I love your suggestions, especially the fruit loop one. I wouldn't have thought of that. It sounds like your two year old and mine are similar, especially in speech, but when I took her to a speech therapist for a consultation, I was told that she CAN talk and other than the basic baby mistakes, she's on target. The speech therapist said that she's stubborn and since she has two older sisters who will talk for her, she doesn't feel the need to use words at home. She gave me some tricks to try at home and they've been helping. I absolutely do not respond to grunts and pointing, lol.

My SD has come a long way since kindergarten. She's now in the top five of her class for everything. She's reading at a 7th grade level. She's in 4th. My 3 year old is really a sponge, everything I show her or do with her she learns easily and my mother who spent most of her adult life teaching said that some kids just memorize faster and not to hold my two year old to the same standards.

One thing my two year old has that my three year old doesn't is problem solving skills. She can't reach the light switch? She'll find something to stand on. My three year old can't do something she'll start crying until someone helps her. My 2 year old loves to figure out how things work. So perhaps, she's just a different style of learner. Oh, and I really like the shape slide. My two year old still hasn't got all her colors down, so we just might try that one!

Quoting hcdeubof3:

oh and you sound like you are very much on the right track and doing a great job! Keep up the great work...sorry to make such long posts and post so much. 

MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Oh, that's got to be so hard for you as a parent! I've heard of SPD, but since I don't know a lot, in what ways would your daughter be helped? Taking more breaks throughout class? Having multiple learning styles in class? I know once kids reach junior high and high school level things become even less hands on and more sight and hearing oriented. My SD is a tactile learner, she learns best when she can physically touch and manipulate things that help with the material (like those little blocks when she was learning math facts).

Quoting Morrigan333:

Yes, when my dd was just an infant i read to her, and i used flash cards and she watched alotof those Baby Einstein videos(with me) and she learned alot. She got HeadStart pre-school in the local elementary when she was 3 and 4. Kindergarten went well, but she was often"distracted", but at tat time she seemed to get the content(she was asked later and she put it all together well). However, 1st gr was a real stuggle and pretty much every grade since that(she's in 6th now) . Sring 2012 she was tested at Kennedy Krieger Institute and was dx with Sensory Processing Disorder)SPD) However, her current middle school refusued to acknowledge tthat dx or accept it so her struggle goes ON and ON. Public schools are stupid..tyeh KNOW what will help a child with LD yet they prevent the parent from getting their children any services to alleviate it or to at least make it workable for these kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)