Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

budget cuts

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 12 Replies

When we are finally starting to settle in adn have our budget panned out. We have set up college funds and are trying to save and pay off our house. We live within our means. We are frugal, we do the "right" thing. DH is a gov't worker and with the budget cuts it looks like our monthly income will decrease by 1000/month within the next couple months. At first we thought it would be 500 and that would have made things tight, but still do able...but 1000. Yikes! That is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure we will manage, but it is going to suck. I'm not mad, angry because I get that something has to give. I was mad about the dipping into our retirement plan to pay of debt but of course congress won't touch their own retirement plan. 

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by Beth on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

yikes 1000 is a lot.

kaffedrikke
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Ouch could he pick up a little side job?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babybear89
by Gracey on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
holy crap. I'm sorry.
hcdeubof3
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He works shift work....it changes weekly. I'm a sahm with 4 kids. I'm willing to ork, but I'd be working to pay for child care. 

Quoting kaffedrikke:

eds6619
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

wow thats a lot.......since dh works for himself we don't feel the pain(besides normal crunching) til tax time.  it really sucks then.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
maybe look into wahm options to help suppliment
kaffedrikke
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
You seem to be ina catch 22 situation.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

He works shift work....it changes weekly. I'm a sahm with 4 kids. I'm willing to ork, but I'd be working to pay for child care. 

Quoting kaffedrikke:

hcdeubof3
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much.....

Quoting kaffedrikke:

You seem to be ina catch 22 situation.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Quoting kaffedrikke:

MaryanneMac
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

That sucks.  I'm sorry.  That's one of the reasons I left the government.  Please tell he that he isn't one of the workers who can be furlowed for 30 days?

hcdeubof3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Not sure if it 30 days this time around, but it wouldn't surprise me. NOAA-NWS is the agency. There is also talk of powering down weather radars when there is calm weather. On a money saving note I think it is really smart. On a safety note I think it is really risky because weather can pop up quickly and it can take the radar 15-20 minutes to boot up. 

Quoting MaryanneMac:

That sucks.  I'm sorry.  That's one of the reasons I left the government.  Please tell he that he isn't one of the workers who can be furlowed for 30 days?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)