Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

When we are finally starting to settle in adn have our budget panned out. We have set up college funds and are trying to save and pay off our house. We live within our means. We are frugal, we do the "right" thing. DH is a gov't worker and with the budget cuts it looks like our monthly income will decrease by 1000/month within the next couple months. At first we thought it would be 500 and that would have made things tight, but still do able...but 1000. Yikes! That is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure we will manage, but it is going to suck. I'm not mad, angry because I get that something has to give. I was mad about the dipping into our retirement plan to pay of debt but of course congress won't touch their own retirement plan. 

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-12):
MaryanneMac
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I don't know about NOAA, but I know my former agency (DHS) is getting hit with the 30 day furlows. I know some people who are scrambling to figure out how to pay their bills and everything for that month.  I could see maybe doing it for a week (not that I think it's right or agree with it) but for a month is ridiculous. 

I'm not sure I agree with the powering down of the radars...freaky weather tend to pop up and if it takes that long to power up, it may be too late to warn people.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Not sure if it 30 days this time around, but it wouldn't surprise me. NOAA-NWS is the agency. There is also talk of powering down weather radars when there is calm weather. On a money saving note I think it is really smart. On a safety note I think it is really risky because weather can pop up quickly and it can take the radar 15-20 minutes to boot up. 

Quoting MaryanneMac:

That sucks.  I'm sorry.  That's one of the reasons I left the government.  Please tell he that he isn't one of the workers who can be furlowed for 30 days?

hcdeubof3
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I was telling DH about this last night...he was like holy crap. He was saying that some where it was said that furloughs would be 88 hours=11 days. I think we are just trying to put the money aside now and then when it does happen we have it. 

Quoting MaryanneMac:

I don't know about NOAA, but I know my former agency (DHS) is getting hit with the 30 day furlows. I know some people who are scrambling to figure out how to pay their bills and everything for that month.  I could see maybe doing it for a week (not that I think it's right or agree with it) but for a month is ridiculous. 

I'm not sure I agree with the powering down of the radars...freaky weather tend to pop up and if it takes that long to power up, it may be too late to warn people.

Quoting hcdeubof3:

Not sure if it 30 days this time around, but it wouldn't surprise me. NOAA-NWS is the agency. There is also talk of powering down weather radars when there is calm weather. On a money saving note I think it is really smart. On a safety note I think it is really risky because weather can pop up quickly and it can take the radar 15-20 minutes to boot up. 

Quoting MaryanneMac:

That sucks.  I'm sorry.  That's one of the reasons I left the government.  Please tell he that he isn't one of the workers who can be furlowed for 30 days?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)