Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Home schooling. i'm considering it... Anything, tips & suggestions. let them rip.

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

im a young mum and im looking for advice from every mother out there, any help or advice is great ! constructive critisism too ;) 

<3 samii

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hcdeubof3
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM
yea...no clue. I know there is an online tool that will help with ciriculum for your state and even grade, but couldn't tellyou what it is. I only know it because inlaws had a lot of informtion and it was talked about ....here is a bump.
eds6619
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

We're thinking of homeschooling for next year(this coming Aug.).  Not sure what curriculum we are using.  I have heard we are in one of the "good" states for homeschool.  I just know I don't want her going back to the private Christian school we have her in currently, unless they get a different administrator and they're upping the tuition and its just getting too expensive.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I have considered homeschooling, but never found any really great info. 

eds6619
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

My friend blogs about her adventures in homeschooling.  Here is her blog.  http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarmfreshadventures.blogspot.com%2F&h=4AQEwcmpR

eds6619
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

hslda.org

also a website you can check out for guidelines.

SamMom912
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Can i ask what are the reasons your homeschooling? 

julimuli
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I home schooled my 3 boys for 4-5 months and my suggestion to you is be prepared, set out a structured timetable with breaks and rewards. We did 4 days at home then every Friday, we went on an educational outing and I then asked them to report or answer questions/essay on the Monday.  If the boys produced enough written work in the morning we did a sporting activity in the afternoon.

All three boys benefitted from their home schooling and they are now in full time education and achieve top marks in the majority of their subjects. It was tough some days but we all learnt a great deal from this experience.

eds6619
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM

why only 4-5 months

Quoting julimuli:

I home schooled my 3 boys for 4-5 months and my suggestion to you is be prepared, set out a structured timetable with breaks and rewards. We did 4 days at home then every Friday, we went on an educational outing and I then asked them to report or answer questions/essay on the Monday.  If the boys produced enough written work in the morning we did a sporting activity in the afternoon.

All three boys benefitted from their home schooling and they are now in full time education and achieve top marks in the majority of their subjects. It was tough some days but we all learnt a great deal from this experience.

julimuli
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

We only home schooled for 4-5 months as I was very unhappy with the boy's schools and saw the decline in their education & confidence.  It was short term for a boost and a re-evaluation of our situation.  We left the country & they all started at new schools and couldn't be happier.  The ages they were (11, 9 & 7) they needed to be learning at their levels with the same age kids.  The one thing the home schooling taught me was if you are unhappy with your child's school you can change it and make a difference, there are always alternatives.

eds6619
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Yes, I'm so desperately sad that we didn't quit after Christmas and start homeschooling then.  Her teacher quit so after break she got a new one and she is an absolute NIGHTMARE.  I told the secretary the teacher made Hitler look like Mother Theresa.  Its actually gotten better since I complained. 

Quoting julimuli:

We only home schooled for 4-5 months as I was very unhappy with the boy's schools and saw the decline in their education & confidence.  It was short term for a boost and a re-evaluation of our situation.  We left the country & they all started at new schools and couldn't be happier.  The ages they were (11, 9 & 7) they needed to be learning at their levels with the same age kids.  The one thing the home schooling taught me was if you are unhappy with your child's school you can change it and make a difference, there are always alternatives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN