Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Do your kids know how to ice skate?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do they have their own skates? Do you have places to go nearby?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2pink1blue
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

My DS, who is 8, is surprisingly good and seemed to "get it" the first time he tried, at age 5.

My oldest DD also started at 5 and has gone skating 2-3 times a year but declared last winter that she was never doing it again.  Poor kid just can't get it at all.

Little DD is 5 and tried it once last year.  She did OK but had to hold on to the wall of a hand.

Ironically, all three of them are fabulous skiers.  We have a rink near the ski lodge (where we go several weekends a month during ski season) but they only ask to skate a couple times a year.

momofnatalie
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM

DD tried it when she turned 3, she just held on her cousin for dear life.  lol  She is going to need some more time with coordination, maybe next year.

momofsixangels
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Mine have never been. We live in fl. I grew up in mn and we skated all the time

wandep
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM

We don't have our own ice skates and we have to drive 3 hrs there and back to ice skate in Florida! LOL We took them once and they loved it. :) Will have to try to go again soon. 

ablackdolphin
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM

That's fantastic!! I grew up in the Midwest and knew how to skate really young.  I have some wonderful memories of skating with my family!!  Sadly, my kids haven't tried yet but I'm hoping that DD will be able to this year or next when we travel there for the holidays!

Quoting 2pink1blue:

My DS, who is 8, is surprisingly good and seemed to "get it" the first time he tried, at age 5.

My oldest DD also started at 5 and has gone skating 2-3 times a year but declared last winter that she was never doing it again.  Poor kid just can't get it at all.

Little DD is 5 and tried it once last year.  She did OK but had to hold on to the wall of a hand.

Ironically, all three of them are fabulous skiers.  We have a rink near the ski lodge (where we go several weekends a month during ski season) but they only ask to skate a couple times a year.

ablackdolphin
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM

LOL! When I was in Houston I was so impressed that one of the malls had an indoor skating rink!

Quoting wandep:

We don't have our own ice skates and we have to drive 3 hrs there and back to ice skate in Florida! LOL We took them once and they loved it. :) Will have to try to go again soon. 

Vertical15
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM

They know how.  Two have their own skates.  We have a few places we can go nearby.  My husband played ice hockey growing up so it was important to him to teach them as well :)

fudgybuddymom
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM

No to both questions but she does know how to rollerskate.

wandep
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Yeah this is indoors too. The kids loved it. It was freezing tho if you weren't skating. LOL

Quoting ablackdolphin:

LOL! When I was in Houston I was so impressed that one of the malls had an indoor skating rink!

Quoting wandep:

ScrChk23
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yes, Yes, yes.  He plays hockey on the local club team.  He loves to skate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN