Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Family Time Challenge Day 1: Set a Time for THIS!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM
  • 106 Replies

Between work schedules and after school activities, finding time to spend as a family can be difficult. Today's challenge is have a set time for dinner and schedule extracurricular activities around that. Even if you can't accomplish this seven days a week, the more time you do sit down as a family the better!

During your family dinners make sure that everyone unplugs from electronics. A fun exception would be if a family member is stuck at work and you face time or Skype them into the dinner conversation! Make sure that each family member has an opportunity to contribute to the conversation and share what they are up to.

eating

How many nights a week does your whole family eat dinner together? What's the biggest obstacle you face when trying to get everything to sit down together? Did you have a set time for dinner when you were a kid?

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $50 American Express gift card!

Family Time Challenge Sign Up-- You Could WIN $50!

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM

When I was a kid we ate at 5. Now we eat dinner as a family every evening between 5 and 6pm. We don't have any obstacles, we've been dong this forever.

2004MAMA715
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM
We eat dinner every night around 6. The only obstacle is weekends we tend to lose track of time. We've been doing this basically since my kids were born so its not hard. Its great hearing about the kids' day and I swear its the only time the boys don't argue.
RobynS
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM

this is a hard one. DH has been getting off work late a lot lately. I work at least one evening a week (4:45-7) and sometimes my workouts get in the way. I would schedule around them, but it's a small town, small gym, and classes are limited--so I have to take them when I can get them!

Still, the kids get a home-cooked meal 7 nights a week, always with at least one parent sitting down at the table with them and sometimes both.

When I was a kid, dinner was at 5pm WITHOUT FAIL.

ceciliam
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

We really try to do this every night of the week. When I was a kid we did have a set dinner gtime and we all always ate together.

Bob192
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Most nights we eat together but it is pretty hectic, so I'm not sure how much quality time we are getting...

huntersmama711
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM
We always eat at 6, sometimes 6:15 if Christina is running late.
othermom
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

We usually eat dinner at the same time most nights, although there are onle 3 chairs at the table because we can not fit more so the kids eat at the table. I either eat at the computer desk right out side the kitchen or at the coffee table.

polkaspots
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM
We have dinner together almost every day, but a timer would not work. Dinner wouldn't be ready on time if we had a time limit.
Noni2319
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM
We have dinner together also most every night.
Vertical15
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM

We live a different schedule then most.  I work second shift and my husband works third.  We face the obstacle that we don't get to have dinner together unless I have off work.  But then I set it up and plan and have a nice meal with everyone.  At the very least two days a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN