Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Fun! Kids & Fun!

Corned beef

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, I've never made it before.  I found one at the store today that looks like it has a marinade on it.  I didn't see any cooking directions on it.  What do you recommend?  What should I serve with it?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Barabell
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM
My husband has made it before in the crock pot, adding cabbage and other veggies. He would cut up the beef and veggies, and I think he just added water (but you could probably add beef broth). I think he let it cook all day on low.
Barabell
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Oh, I missed your last question. We just eat the corned beef and cabbage as-is, but I bet you could have rolls with it if you wanted a side.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM
I've only had it at a friend's house. She cooked it in the crock pot with carrots and cabbage.
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how my Irish mom and her family have always made it.  Put the roast with the seasonings in a big pot of water.  Bring to a boil then turn down the heat so it's BARELY bubbling and let it simmer for 6-8 hours covered.  It helps leach the salt out so that the roast isn't uber-salty (this is why we don't use the crock-pot method - it just ends up too salty for our tastes).  Then you take the roast out and put it on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm.  Put your chopped up carrots and potatoes into the pot of roast water and cook until tender.  Then remove them to a plate and cover to keep warm.  Then put in your green cabbage, cut into 8 wedges with the core removed, and cook until tender (won't take as long as the potatoes) and remove.  Done!  =)  My husband has been looking forward to corned beef and cabbage for over a month, lol.  He actually bought a couple extra so I could make it a few times this year, haha.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Thanks ladies!!

aidensmomma508
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Enjoy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)