Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

amazing. women gives autistic child marijuana, and guess what! it works!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 67 Replies

HEALTH & SCIENCE

BEFORE YOU FREAK OUT WITH THE NASTY COMMENTS READ THE DAMN THING!! ITS ABOUT 14 PAGES LONG, I REFUSE TO TAKE NEGATIVE COMMENTS SERIOUSLY UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY READ IT. im only posting the first page to entice you.... i will post links at the bottom to finish reading part one, and then a link for part two.

Why I Give My 9-year-old Pot

He has autism and a medical marijuana license.

Question: why are we giving our nine-year-old a marijuana cookie?

Answer: because he can't figure out how to use a bong.

My son J has autism. He’s also had two serious surgeries for a spinal cord tumor and has an inflammatory bowel condition, all of which may be causing him pain, if he could tell us. He can say words, but many of them—"duck in the water, duck in the water"—don't convey what he means. For a time, anti-inflammatory medication seemed to control his pain. But in the last year, it stopped working. He began to bite and to smack the glasses off my face. If you were in that much pain, you’d probably want to hit someone, too.

J's school called my husband and me in for a meeting about J's tantrums, which were affecting his ability to learn. The teachers were wearing tae kwon do arm pads to protect themselves against his biting. Their solution was to hand us a list of child psychiatrists. Since autistic children like J can’t exactly do talk therapy, this meant sedating, antipsychotic drugs like Risperdal—Thorazine for kids.

Last year, Risperdal was prescribed for more than 389,000 children—240,000 of them under the age of 12—for bipolar disorder, ADHD, autism, and other disorders. Yet the drug has never been tested for long-term safety in children and carries a severe warning of side effects. From 2000 to 2004, 45 pediatric deaths were attributed to Risperdal and five other popular drugs also classified as “atypical antipsychotics,” according to a review of FDA data by USA Today. When I canvassed parents of autistic children who take Risperdal, I didn't hear a single story of an improvement that seemed worth the risks. A 2002 study specifically looking at the use of Risperdal for autism, in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed moderate improvements in “autistic irritation”—but if you read more closely, the study followed only 49 children over eight weeks, which, researchers admitted, “limits inferences about adverse effects.”

We met with J's doctor, who’d read the studies and agreed: No Risperdal or its kin.

The school called us in again. What were we going to do, they asked. As a sometimes health writer and blogger, I was intrigued when a homeopath suggested medical marijuana. Cannabis has long-documented effects as an analgesic and an anxiety modulator. Best of all, it is safe. The homeopath referred me to a publication by the Autism Research Institute describing cases of reduced aggression, with no permanent side effects. Rats given 40 times the psychoactive level merely fall sleep. Dr. Lester Grinspoon, an emeritus professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School who has been researching cannabis for 40 years, says he has yet to encounter a case of marijuana causing a death, even from lung cancer.

A prescription drug called Marinol, which contains a synthetic cannabinoid, seemed mainstream enough to bring up with J’s doctor. I cannot say that with a few little pills, everything turned around. But after about a week of playing around with the dosage, J began garnering a few glowing school reports: “J was a pleasure have in speech class,” instead of “J had 300 aggressions today.”

But J tends to build tolerance to synthetics, and in a few months, we could see the aggressive behavior coming back. One night, I went to the meeting of a medical marijuana patient advocacy group on the campus of the college where I teach. The patients told me that Marinol couldn’t compare to marijuana, the plant, which has at least 60 cannabinoids to Marinol’s one.

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/why-i-give-my-9-year-old-pot PART ONE
http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/why-i-give-my-9-year-old-pot-part-ii part two
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissBearNMonkey
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I've been prescribed Marinol for nausea (I did chemo and took other vomit-inducing meds for my MS). It worked great for the nausea, but did nothing for the pain and anxiety many pain patients experience. I found whole-plant mj either smoked or ingested to be the most effective treatment for not one, but SEVERAL symptoms of mine.

I applaud this woman for being brave enough to discuss this. 

rozepyle
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM

its true, i find that my anxiety doesn't go away when i eat it either, marinol to me is a joke in a way because duhrrr its linked to the pharmaceutical companies but at least they are "trying" *snicker* thank you for reading!! 

rozepyle
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

lol i guess 22 people have nothing nice to say.

lolamac
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

eye rolling 

lola.jpg sexy bunny lola image by bladeking777

mammapickle
by Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Ok i just read part 1 and 2 of the article. and yes i agree pot did wonders for this boy, But i think it treated his gut and aggression problems, not necessarily his autism.

NadiasMommy427
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I'm glad that helped. It helps me with cramps and headaches. 

rozepyle
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:24 AM

the fact that those things were even treated is amazing :) if you can take away the pain and the stomach problems and whatever else the issue may be he can CONCENTRATE on his autism!! think about it, if you had little to no distractions going on in your body your brain and being can focus and work on it, i give it another year or two before they figure it out 

Quoting mammapickle:

Ok i just read part 1 and 2 of the article. and yes i agree pot did wonders for this boy, But i think it treated his gut and aggression problems, not necessarily his autism.

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Quoting lolamac:

eye rolling 

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

*Do you love hip-hop music? Come join my hip-hop hunnies group & keep hip-hop alive!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hip-hop-hunnies

rayzensun
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I'm not sure about kids but marijuana HUGELY helps my autism,

it's like-  you want to say something, but the second you try to talk 15 different sentences, and words and thoughts want to come out all at once so what actually gets out is either nothing or incomprehensible sometimes. but weed kinda slows down the quickness that the words are trying to get out with and lets me say one sentence and thought at a time. so I can communicate better and be less anxious about how i'm coming off to people

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
lajoy
by Holly on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I am all for the legalization of weed. It has so many benefits. If people were free to just grow their own..it would be such an inexpensive way to treat your ailments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)