Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida man accidentally shoots and kills his fiancee

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM
  • 2 Replies

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. —  A man who thought there was an intruder in his house shot and killed his fiancee the day before they were to be married, police said Friday.

"Right now everything points to a tragic accident," Police Chief Kevin Brunelle told The Associated Press, adding investigators were awaiting forensic results.

John Tabutt, 62, told investigators he got his gun when he thought he heard an intruder, then fired at a figure in the hallway, according to Brunelle. It was Tabutt's live-in fiancee, 62-year-old Nancy Dinsmore, who family members say he was going to marry Saturday. Tabutt told authorities he thought she was next to him in bed the whole time.

A message left for a phone number listed for the house was not returned.

Brunelle said no charges have been filed against Tabutt, adding the information he provided has been verified and he appeared "very distraught."

Tabutt was "very concerned about her well-being," standing by while she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, Brunelle added.

The couple planned to wed in a small ceremony Saturday at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Winter Springs, Dinsmore's son-in-law Scott Sposato, of Vero Beach, told the Orlando Sentinel.

"They loved each other," he said. "It was quite apparent."

Tabutt called 911 shortly after 2:30 a.m. Friday, moaning and sobbing, the newspaper reported.

"I thought I had an intruder in the house," he told the emergency dispatcher. "Honest to God, she looks dead."

He then thought he heard her take a breath.

"Hang in there, Honey. Hang in there," he said.

Winter Springs is about 15 miles north of Orlando.

Your reaction?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SuprMom08
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

think about the title   "ACCIDENTLY SHOOTS AND KILLS"   haha!!
i don't think you can accidently shoot and kill someone!
Its just carelessness and if you cared - you would have been more careful!

cmb121906
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM

That is so awful and sad. That was always a fear of mine. I slept with a loaded handgun in my nightstand for awhile (before kids that is) and I was home alone all the time given s/o job. I lived out in the pitchblack boonies so I felt more comfortable with a loaded gun right there.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)