Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~*THE ART OF PEACE*~ By Morihei Ueshiba

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

The Art of Peace (1992)  
  • As soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weakens and defeats you.
  • Be grateful even for hardship, setbacks, and bad people. Dealing with such obstacles is an essential part of training in the Art of Peace.
  • Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.
  • Foster peace in your own life and then apply the Art to all that you encounter.
  • If your opponent strikes with fire, counter with water, becoming completely fluid and free-flowing. Water, by its nature, never collides with or breaks against anything. On the contrary, it swallows up any attack harmlessly. 
  • In our techniques we enter completely into, blend totally with, and control firmly an attack. Strength resides where one's ki is concentrated and stable; confusion and maliciousness arise when ki stagnates.
  • In the Art of Peace we never attack. An attack is proof that one is out of control. Never run away from any kind of challenge, but do not try to suppress or control an opponent unnaturally. Let attackers come any way they like and then blend with them. Never chase after opponents. Redirect each attack and get firmly behind it.
  • Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of the Art of Peace are brought to life.
  • Move like a beam of light;
    Fly like lightning,
    Strike like thunder,
    Whirl in circles around
    A stable center.
  • One should be prepared to receive ninety-nine percent of an enemy's attack and stare death right in the face in order to illumine the Path.
  • Techniques employ four qualities that reflect the nature of our world. Depending on the circumstance, you should be: hard as a diamond, flexible as a willow, smooth-flowing like water, or as empty as space.
  • The Art of Peace is not easy. It is a fight to the finish, the slaying of evil desires and all falsehood within. On occasion the Voice of Peace resounds like thunder, jolting human beings out of their stupor.
  • The Art of Peace is the principle of nonresistance. Because it is nonresistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing.
  • A good stance and posture reflect a proper state of mind.
  • The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses. The Way of a Warrior, the Art of Politics, is to stop trouble before it starts. It consists in defeating your adversaries spiritually by making them realize the folly of their actions. The Way of a Warrior is to establish harmony.
  • There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within.
  • To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace.
  • When an opponent comes forward, move in and greet him; if he wants to pull back, send him on his way.
  • When life is victorious, there is birth; when it is thwarted, there is death. A warrior is always engaged in a life-and-death struggle for Peace.
  • When you bow deeply to the universe, it bows back; when you call out the name of God, it echoes inside you.
  • May the Kami of Earth and Heaven watch our acts of purification.
  • In order to establish heaven on on earth, we need a Budo that is pure in spirit, that is devoid of hatred and greed. It must follow natural principles and harmonize the material with the spiritual. Aikido means not to kill. Although nearly all creeds have a commandment against taking life, most of them justify killing for reason or another. In Aikido, however, we try to completely avoid killing, even the most evil person.

Professional Makeup Artist, Esthetician & Mommy of 3

www.myspace.com/tajafaces

school busteen girlin love

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Based on this, it seems that you still have quite a bit to work on as well.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Marking for later I need to sleep a bit

Tajalee
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

And you know nothing but "white way" Gretchen ..............your ignorance is wide spread that's why the world is the way it is!   

=)

ps: i understand that the world isn't white and i'm not being racist either just a statement 

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Tajalee:

And you know nothing but "white way" Gretchen ..............your ignorance is wide spread that's why the world is the way it is!   

=)

Quoting Gretchen2876:

I had no idea I was so important! Wow!

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Now that I  have read this I realize these are principles much like those in aikido. The art of control would be a better title.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Now that I  have read this I realize these are principles much like those in aikido. The art of control would be a better title.

What's aikido? I've never heard of it.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Aikido is a form of martial arts developed by the author of this book. The intent is to use the attackers energy and attack against them, so that you use as little of your own energy as possible. You can also use this form to subdue someone without actually hurting them, or you can hurt someone very badly with this form if you master the pressure point techniques. The styles of each teacher vary somewhat. It is meant to build the spiritual body as well as offer a defense for the physical one. Shinto plays a heavy role in his teachings.

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Quoting stormcris:

What's aikido? I've never heard of it.

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Tajalee!!!!!  I love Aikido!

Funny that just last night I was talking to my sister about this art and how much I want to learn it.

I saw a documentary about this and other martial arts and this woman who is a master of Aikido was little and she was fighting with these huge men, two at a time, and she was like water and used their energy so beautifully against them and toppled them over.  I love this art because it is just defensive and not intended to injure the opponent.

It is such an appropriate post for this time.  I needed it.  The spiritual aspect of it is so appropriate.

This is the philosophy that should be applied to foreign policy too but unfortunately right now it is all about dividing and conquering.

I will save this post for future reference.  Thank you!!!

giving heart

Tajalee
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Wonderful!!  My kids take it and love it   =)   I get in on the classes with them, it is so interesting and the spiritual aspect is beautiful ............That lil midget is my hero!    

He was an interesting being........................

Aikido

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

Quoting Grannygoli:

Tajalee!!!!!  I love Aikido!

Funny that just last night I was talking to my sister about this art and how much I want to learn it.

I saw a documentary about this and other martial arts and this woman who is a master of Aikido was little and she was fighting with these huge men, two at a time, and she was like water and used their energy so beautifully against them and toppled them over.  I love this art because it is just defensive and not intended to injure the opponent.

It is such an appropriate post for this time.  I needed it.  The spiritual aspect of it is so appropriate.

This is the philosophy that should be applied to foreign policy too but unfortunately right now it is all about dividing and conquering.

I will save this post for future reference.  Thank you!!!

giving heart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)