Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"God is Your Enemy"- Protestors rally at Sasha & Malia's schools

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:11 PM
  • 44 Replies

The Westboro Baptist sickos are at it again, but this time they're targeting the Obama girls' schools.

Westboro Baptist Church, a hate group that travels around the country holding anti-gay rallies, protested outside the school attended by President Obama's children on Monday morning.

The "church," run by Fred Phelps and composed largely of his extensive family, is known for staging its events for maximum publicity and controversy. In the past, members have demonstrated outside troops' funerals. Recently they have been targeting Jewish temples. Now they're aiming their vitriol at Washington-area schools -- including Sidwell Friends, where Malia and Sasha Obama are students.

A message on Westboro's website refers to the Obama children as "satanic spawn" of a "murderous bastard." Along with various schools, the church is also protesting outside the White House, the World War II memorial, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office.

Via ThinkProgress, one of the attendees (and Phelps' granddaughter) posted a picture of the protest on Twitter:

Protesters were carrying signs with anti-gay, anti-abortion and anti-Obama slogans, slowing down traffic all along Wisconsin Avenue.

Malia attends the Washington, D.C. Sidwell middle school, where the Phelps family protested Monday; they plan to protest Tuesday at the Bethesda location, where Sasha is a student.

Link

My personal opinion is that the kids in these schools, including the President's daughters, shouldn't have to witness this.  I mean, what's the point? What are your thoughts?  

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tattooed_mommy1
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM

i'm all about free speech, but you cross a line when you start protesting at funerals when families are burying their loved ones, and at schools with children. they make me sick.

jaxTheMom
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I think they are a sick fucking cult. 

And while it's an absolute shame that innocent children have to be subjected to that kind of fuckery, I'm sure that at such highly regarded schools, the educators there have a perfect learning tool to point out to those children about the evils of hatred.

CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Agreed - That crosses the line!!

Erica

Quoting tattooed_mommy1:

i'm all about free speech, but you cross a line when you start protesting at funerals when families are burying their loved ones, and at schools with children. they make me sick.

a wedding website

conniecabe
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Quoting jaxTheMom:

And while it's an absolute shame that innocent children have to be subjected to that kind of fuckery, I'm sure that at such highly regarded schools, the educators there have a perfect learning tool to point out to those children about the evils of hatred.

I agree.  After reading up on this some more, I discovered that the school staged a counter-protest.  Good for them!

Quote:

Ellis Turner, the associate head of Sidwell, told ThinkProgress that students and faculty members wearing rainbow colors staged a counter-protest. They held a banner with the Quaker phrase, "There is that of God in everyone" (seen in the background of the picture above). Turner said that none of the protesters attempted to come into the school. Joann Weiner at Politics Daily has more details.

Surrender
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

This angers me. People like this make a bad name for Christians across the board. It's infuriating.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM

sick.

tericared
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Is this really FREE SPEACH?

A message on Westboro's website refers to the Obama children as "satanic spawn" of a "murderous bastard." Along with various schools, the church is also protesting outside the White House, the World War II memorial, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office.

They are non violent terrorist as far as I am concerned...

mistynights234
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Absolutely right on jaxTheMom! 

Quoting jaxTheMom:

Trisha-Faye
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Evil done is the work of Satan.  Doesn't matter if you claim it is Gods work and Gods words..it is the work and words of Satan.  Westboro is a perfect example of this.  Christian means Christ like...if the words and actions are not Christ like then the person or persons spewing it are not christians...no matter what they claim to the contrary.

Oh yeah I am sure her God (meaning the person with the sign) is my enemy..I would hope a God of hate is my enemy...on the other hand My God probably isn't too thrilled with her either!

tericared
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Quoting Trisha-Faye:

Evil done is the work of Satan.  Doesn't matter if you claim it is Gods work and Gods words..it is the work and words of Satan.  Westboro is a perfect example of this.  Christian means Christ like...if the words and actions are not Christ like then the person or persons spewing it are not christians...no matter what they claim to the contrary.

Oh yeah I am sure her God (meaning the person with the sign) is my enemy..I would hope a God of hate is my enemy...on the other hand My God probably isn't too thrilled with her either!

clapping

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)