Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She was driving under the influence. Killed two twins. But won't be charged.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

Mother of Killed Unborn Twins Speaks Out

Hanover, New Hampshire - August 12, 2009

A Bennington mother who lost her unborn twins in a car crash two days ago is speaking out -- about her grief -- and about Vermont law.

Patricia Blair is recovering at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and invited us to the hospital to share her story.  Blair hopes her twins did NOT die in vain.

"I almost thought she was going to clear us. But, I don't know what happened, if she turned back. But, we didn't clear. I just remember the impact," Blair said.

She does not totally remember the car accident as she lies in her hospital bed at DHMC with a fractured spine.  It happened Monday night on Route 7 in Bennington as she and her husband and their two boys were driving home from shopping. Blair was 6 months pregnant at the time-- expecting twins.

"My husband wanted to name the girl because he really wanted a girl. And, I was hoping for a boy. And when we found out July 15th that we were having one of each, it was like perfect."

Kalib Michael and Harley Olivia-- had already been given names by their parents, but sadly they did not survive the crash.

"To me they are babies. They have the hair, they have the eyes, they have the nose, they have perfect little lips. They have fingers, toes, toe nails, all the right anatomy."

Police says the 22-year-old woman who struck the Blairs was under the influence of drugs. She's been processed for Driving Under the Influence. But-- she has not been charged in connection with the death of the twins.

"They would have been here with me had this not happened and I don't how Vermont can say they are not babies," Blair said tearfully.

That's because according to Vermont Law-- the twins were still in their mothers womb-- and not considered persons.

"I know that they need to go by what is in place now, and it may not help my case or it may not help somebody else's case right away, but I hope they stop and rethink it and at least adjust something."

Blair hopes that this incident-- while tragic-- can be used for some good.

"It would mean that God sent them here for some purpose and they fulfilled it even if it was in their short few months."

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HuntersMomee
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM

:(

son.jpg love my son image by PEZMO_23
               pink ribbon   love-my-daughter.png love my daughter image by stephi3403

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:45 PM

=( so sad 

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

*Do you love hip-hop music? Come join my hip-hop hunnies group & keep hip-hop alive!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hip-hop-hunnies

KPMAMA
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:45 PM

WHAT?! They are not people?! I cannot even believe that! That poor family!

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Quoting KPMAMA:

Photobucket stephanie/cloth diapering/full term bfing/extended harnessing mama

Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM

My thoughts exactly. How tragic.

Quoting KPMAMA:

baby

CafeMom Tickers

BellaRose17
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:09 PM

because of the whole "fetus isn't a baby" thing. it pisses me off to no end.

Quoting KPMAMA:

KPMAMA
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM

That is such BULLSHIT! They arent babies but they have beating hearts,eyes, ears, a face, a gender...thats the most outrageous way of thinking ever whoever thought of that should be punched in the face!

Quoting BellaRose17:

because of the whole "fetus isn't a baby" thing. it pisses me off to no end.

Quoting KPMAMA:

PestPatti
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:18 AM

It's sad, but you have to blame the state of Vermont for not having a "fetal" homicide law.   It wouldnt have made the " unborn" twins people, but it would have made the young girl criminally responsable for their death.    

fairy_fan
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM

But people can't have it both ways.  If it is illegal to kill a fetus, then abortion would be illegal.  It is tragic that these babies were wanted and loved and are now gone, but you can't have it both ways.

This is part of the "slippery slope" of having abortion legal. 

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.  ~Mark Twain

amorris72200
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Quoting fairy_fan:

But people can't have it both ways.  If it is illegal to kill a fetus, then abortion would be illegal.  It is tragic that these babies were wanted and loved and are now gone, but you can't have it both ways.

This is part of the "slippery slope" of having abortion legal. 

This.  Why is a "fetus" that is wanted and loved, a "baby"  and when killed for some reason "murdered", but a "fetus" that is not wanted  or loved, a "fetus" and killing it is not considered "murdered"??

Extremly Sad story, and I am extremyl sorry for this family.  It must have been an aweful thing to go through!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)