Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!! what to give toddler with bad cough!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM
  • 29 Replies

My poor baby just turned 1 Fri.. He has this horrible cough... i dont know what to give him, i hear his flem come up but he jus gulps it bac down.. How do i get that out??

I also went to the doctor today, for his check up and to get his vacs, i told the doctor about the cough but he didnt prescribe any thing, do some of you no home remedies or maybe herbs??

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM

A 1 yrear old? The only thing I can think of is to sit with him in the bathroom with the door shut, and run the hot water in the shower. The steam will be good for him...Take some toys or music in there and play on the floor or something...

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Yup.

Quoting tericared:

A 1 yrear old? The only thing I can think of is to sit with him in the bathroom with the door shut, and run the hot water in the shower. The steam will be good for him...Take some toys or music in there and play on the floor or something...

Seashell77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Maybe there's some cough medicines for babies ? I kind of remember giving my son one when he was this age, but that was so long ago I don't know for sure. I know how you feel wanting so much to make your poor little baby feel better and are searching. Tomarrow I'd call your doctor  back and ask him what to give your son for his cough. That's kind of surprising this doc didn't recommend anything to you today. If you aren't happy with this doc, I'd find another one you like better. Good luck and I sure hope your cutie pie gets better quick and feels much better.

Lace186
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Definitely do this. I would also call the clinic again in the morning and see about a second opinion. Baby vicks might help too?

Quoting tericared:

Forget-me-not
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Chop or slice an onion and layer it in a jar alternating it with sugar ending with sugar on top. Let it sit overnight strain and you have an amazing cough syrup that has other benefits as well. Google health benefits of onion and onion syrup and you can read up some on it. Use a red onion since it will be milder in flavor. I would type more but I am nursing right now and it's kinds hard, message me if you have any questions.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

Khis_Ma
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:03 AM

thanks alot!!cnt talk much hes up n cranky!!!!!

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM

This is what I was going to say. It will work better than anything. When Jacob had pertussis at 1, we did a lot of this.

Quoting tericared:

Check out Jacob's jouney on my home page!

Mergath
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM

We always use chamomile tea with lots of honey to soothe a throat raw from coughing.  Works like a charm for me, and it's great because it helps you sleep, as well.  If you do try that, don't give it to the little guy too close to a meal, as the polyphenols in the tea can somewhat inhibit iron absorption.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Oh and if you are still breastfeeding, nursing him with his head upright will help if he is congested and if his nose is stuffed up, you can squirt a little breastmilk in it and it will help.

Check out Jacob's jouney on my home page!

Della529
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM

How is doing this morning?  Better, I hope.

Yes, the steam as Terica said.  Also, in order to help get the mucus out of his lungs: rub his back between the bottom part of his shoulder blades in a counter-clockwise motion for about two or three minutes.  Then pat the same area firmly with the flat of your palm for about 30 seconds.  Repeat as much as necessary.  A friend is a respiratory therapist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)