Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Good or bad?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM
  • 69 Replies

Just a thought I  had....
Homeschooled students typically do better on standardized tests.  But homeschooled students can miss out on social and academic opportunities.
In this day and age, it seems public schools have taken a dive and we are not able to teach our kids as well as we could be. (Issues from lack of money mostly)

So is homeschooling a good idea? Couldn't you just enroll your kids in some social things like sports or dance or whatever?

Would you like to see the govt give you the money for your kids to teach them, instead of the schools? Say your school receives 2500.$ for each student it teaches. Don't you think as parents, we could do a better job of teaching our kids with that money? It would probably go further than what it does in schools. Or do you think the parents would put the money else where. And not use it to teach the kids? What if they had a standardized test yearly to see if you qualify for the money? This of course would be a choice. It may be difficult for the working parent. But maybe the money could be used for tutors?  What do you think?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissBearNMonkey
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I could do an amazing job homeschooling my children if I received a subsidy for it. I'm confident in my own educational background that I'd do a substantially better job at it than a public school (I have a Master's in Teaching). HOWEVER, there are things, if you live in a good district that can't be replicated at home. First and foremost is socialization. I meet with a homeschool group a couple of times a month and, for the most part, the kids are really well-behaved and articulate, but there is an obvious reticence they have when they first get together that comes from a lack of familiarity. It's problematic in the sense that the hour or so they spend "reaquainting" with each other could be better spent playing, learning and getting the most out of their time together. Instead, there's an hour of mothers coaxing their kids into socializing and reminding them it's time to have fun. It's backasswards in many respects.

Ideally, I'd like to see there be a part-time option for students. Those who have parents like me who are ready, willing and able to teach the basics and reinforce lessons from school. I'm hoping that when my young ones get to middle and high school that this will be an option. I'd keep them home for four days of the week and have them in school where they can participate in group activities, sports, etc. for three. It would be the best of both worlds. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I think it entirely depends. Just like public school - some are really quite good, other's not so much.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I homeschooled elementary years. We used books/pencils....NO computers.They did excell, as many HS kids do. We belonged to a large group of families that also HS, and we met once a week. We were also active in our church, and lived in a neighborhood where there were multiple kids. Socialization was never an issue. Money wasn't an issue for homeschooling, just as it shouldn't be an issue in having children to begin with. They both excelled throughout private and public schools, and finished college with flying colors. 

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

For us, the only way that I would consider it, is if their school was a danger to them, and we were unable to afford private school. It would take a lot for me to feel comfortable enough in the role of their teacher. If I had to, I would.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I homeschooled elementary years. We used books/pencils....NO computers.They did excell, as many HS kids do. We belonged to a large group of families that also HS, and we met once a week. We were also active in our church, and lived in a neighborhood where there were multiple kids. Socialization was never an issue. Money wasn't an issue for homeschooling, just as it shouldn't be an issue in having children to begin with. They both excelled throughout private and public schools, and finished college with flying colors. 

So in this scenario your kids did wonderfully in both homeschooling and in school.

Don't you think that if the whole country is doing this, we would excel as a nation? And even if you didn't need the money, others might and may want to continue on with this type of schooling into middle and high school. So they may need to buy computers or use more expensive books. Right?

I think this would make a big difference in alot of things.

grammie6
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Unfortunately I don't think enough parents are qualified to teach their children, including myself...Any one else watch Desperate Housewives??? I think there are a lot more "Gabby's" out there than we care to admit...I wonder what that $2500 would go towards in some households?? 

coast guardGrammie6

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Quoting grammie6:

Unfortunately I don't think enough parents are qualified to teach their children, including myself...Any one else watch Desperate Housewives??? I think there are a lot more "Gabby's" out there than we care to admit...I wonder what that $2500 would go towards in some households?? 

It would cover the majority of our bills!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

Quoting EireLass:

So in this scenario your kids did wonderfully in both homeschooling and in school.

Don't you think that if the whole country is doing this, we would excel as a nation? And even if you didn't need the money, others might and may want to continue on with this type of schooling into middle and high school. So they may need to buy computers or use more expensive books. Right?

I think this would make a big difference in alot of things.

Yes, it all worked for my kids. Homeschool, private/christian, public. The curriculum we used was only a couple hundred dollars/year. The library is FREE. Believe it or not....you DON'T need a computer. And why more expensive books? Part of the network of other homeschool families is to trade/barter for books/lessons. My kids are evidence of not losing out on anything by homeschooling or not having a computer in the home. My son's chosen career is a Senior Social Web Designer. My daughter did not have "home ec" in school, yet she is a Lead Designer.

night.magic
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I have considered homeschooling my youngest due to health issues. My oldest graduates next year.. I see nothing wrong with it, if the parents are educated enough to provide the learning tools for their kids and teach them. Keep them current with all that needs to be taught.As long as I feel my child isn't in any sort of danger at school and I have confidence that they are being taught properly, I will keep them in their public schools.

As for the schools here where I live. My youngest brought home a note from the teacher Tuesday . I would scan and post it, but it list too much information. So i will give a general idea of what it says:

Dear Parents:

We have some exciting news to share with you. The Louisiana Dept of Education has chosen to film (OES) due to our success as a High Performing/High Poverty School. The Dept. of Education will be coming to our school on 11-11-09. They will be filming our school grounds and various activities in our school building. Students identities will not be named nor will the students be interviewed. Your child may or may not be on the film, however because it is possible your child could be filmed we are informing you of this event.

We are pleased to be recognized for this honor;however we would understand if you do not wish to have your child be on film. Please send a note telling us if you do not want your child filmed.

sincerely,

D.B. (principal)

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.  ~Bruce Crampton

Pink and Yellow ButterflyPurple and Yellow Butterfly

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

These dyas. I would have to say Home Schooling is the way to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)