Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Balloon Boy's Parents Will Plead Guilty

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

Balloon Boy's Parents Will Plead Guilty to Some Charges in Hoax Case, Lawyer Says

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fox News: The Colorado parents who claimed their son floated away in a helium balloon will plead guilty to some charges in the alleged hoax but avoid jail time, their attorney said Thursday.

heenefamily270.jpgGetty Images
Richard and Mayumi Heene are accused of lying when they reported that 6-year-old Falcon flew away in a homemade helium balloon Oct. 15 that lifted off from their back yard in Fort Collins, drifted across two counties and landed in a farm field.

Richard Heene's lawyer David Lane said in a statement Thursday that Mayumi Heene will plead guilty to false reporting to authorities, a misdemeanor.

Richard Heene will plead guilty to attempting to influence a public servant, a felony, according to Lane.

Prosecutors have agreed to allow both to serve probation sentences, he said.

The most serious of the charges recommended by Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden would have carried a maximum sentence of six years in prison.

Alderden has said the runaway balloon story was a hoax to generate publicity for the couple, who have appeared on the ABC reality show "Wife Swap" and were trying to arrange another show.

I don't know I think it's to bad the father doesn't get some jail time. It just proves to his kids that acting this way can be alright. You just have to do a little probation. What do you think? 

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
isaiahsmomma86
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I think real punishment for these people would be NOT putting them in the news. lol.

Heather- I am a  vaxing, non CIO, disposable diapering, formula feeding, stay at home mommy to Isaiah and happily married to the best hubby ever, Patrick.

Della529
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

What?  No restitution?!

night.magic
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I wonder about those kids being mentally abused by the Dad. Falcon was so upset he kept puking during interviews. Shame on the parents putting those kids under that kind of duress! 

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.  ~Bruce Crampton

Pink and Yellow ButterflyPurple and Yellow Butterfly

tericared
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Quoting Della529:

What?  No restitution?!

No doubt....All of the law enforcement agencies that were involved...and the poor man who lost  much of his crop from everyone being on it.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)