Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids with some brains......

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

Its parent-teacher conferences made the evening news. So did cases of swine flu. And Sidwell Friends School has recently been the target of a few small protests that seem aimed at prominent parents, not students.

The school, long a favorite of Washington's leading families, is no stranger to presidential children. But in the months since Barack and Michelle Obama decided to send their daughters there, Sidwell has been pulled into the spotlight of a distinctly 21st-century culture -- one that is increasingly celebrity-obsessed and often shockingly unmannered.

When five anti-Obama, anti-gay protesters appeared in front of the school's Wisconsin Avenue NW entrance Monday morning, they were met by 150 Sidwell students waving signs ranging from "There is that of God in Everyone" to "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It."

"I guess they think they can influence what we think because we're young and vulnerable," said Daniel Edminster, a Sidwell junior. "They can't."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111126806.html?g=0

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aldea
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Everybody has brains, but some people pollute it and/or don't use it.

sweetie00
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM

they were met by 150 Sidwell students waving signs ranging from "There is that of God in Everyone" to "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It."

oh, snap! Looks the Obamas made a great choice!

tericared
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

they were met by 150 Sidwell students waving signs ranging from "There is that of God in Everyone" to "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It."

oh, snap! Looks the Obamas made a great choice!

Great group of kids...it would seem.....

Imsupermom2
by Cynthia on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM

That doesn't sound like the mind of a child--it sounds more like an adult with an agenda...Pathetic 

Joqui
by Joqui on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM

lol... awww

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM

My highschool was much like that. We held protests and picketed and did petitions. It is good to see that this is still done.

tericared
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Quoting Imsupermom2:

That doesn't sound like the mind of a child--it sounds more like an adult with an agenda...Pathetic 

This is a High School not elementary school.....

amygray
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Quoting Imsupermom2:

yeah..  it does doesn't it..

tericared
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Man what kind of teen agers are you exposed to?    Mind of a child you cant be serious? 

amygray
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Imsupermom2:

This is a High School not elementary school.....

Obama's girls are in high school?  They are 10 and 7..  that's elementary school age

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)