Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Right or Privilege

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am curious if people truly understand what is a right and privilege.

Do you understand the actual difference in the two?

We had a debate some time ago over where attendance to school was a right or privilege.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM

It is said that a right is something that prevents the action of another to prevent you from doing something where as a privilege is legislation that grants a person the ability to do something but does not directly bar another from taking that ability away.

tericared
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Americans have relatively few rights; these include the right to free speech and not be discriminated against based on race or another characteristic that the law protects against harmful bias. Further, anyone who has watched a law or police drama over the past 40 years know that someone who is arrested has the right to remain silent and to have legal representation.  As an aside, that right is not as broad as most people think. Other rights include limited protection against mistreatment from a governmental entity.

yep I copied and pasted....it is my privilege

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting tericared:

Americans have relatively few rights; these include the right to free speech and not be discriminated against based on race or another characteristic that the law protects against harmful bias. Further, anyone who has watched a law or police drama over the past 40 years know that someone who is arrested has the right to remain silent and to have legal representation.  As an aside, that right is not as broad as most people think. Other rights include limited protection against mistreatment from a governmental entity.

yep I copied and pasted....it is my privilege

HomeMakin94
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM

A right is something you're born with, or something you've paid for/earned.  A privelege is anything you may or may not get from anybody else.  :-)

Della529
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Ultimately, rights are God given *as acknowledged by those who wrote the Constitution*   For example, God gave humans the right to free speech.  The US Constitution protected the God given right by preventing the government and its authority to restrict people from speaking their minds.  The Bill of Rights doesn't "give" us rights.  It protects what was already assumed.

Privileges are those that are "given" or "allowed" by a government or one in authority, including a parent, a group, a municipality, local and state regs.  Usually there is a monetary price for said privileges.

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Without researching or looking up, I would say a right is something that can be taken away, whereas a privilege is something to be earned. 

Imsupermom2
by Cynthia on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM

A privilege is something that can be taken away--such as a drivers license etc 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I'll put it this way......

A bailout is not a right.

enough said....

tericared
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Quoting WImom2:

enough said....

bow down

imaginemama
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Quoting WImom2:

enough said....

you rock

AGREED!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)