Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The war no one talks about

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:04 AM
  • 54 Replies

No one talks about the war in Africa. Is it the actual war itself no one wants to talk about or the facts or the victims ? What is it about the genocidal war in Darfur that no one is talking about ?

Genocide in Darfur, Sudan

Photo by Brian Stiedle

About the size of Texas, the Darfur region of Sudan is home to racially mixed tribes of settled peasants, who identify as African, and nomadic herders, who identify as Arab. The majority of people in both groups are Muslim.

In the ongoing genocide, African farmers and others in Darfur are being systematically displaced and murdered at the hands of the Janjaweed, a government-supported militia recruited from local Arab tribes. The genocide in Darfur has claimed 400,000 lives and displaced over 2,500,000 people. More than one hundred people continue to die each day; five thousand die every month.

Government neglect has left people throughout Sudan poor and voiceless and has caused conflict throughout the country. In February 2003, frustrated by poverty and neglect, two Darfurian rebel groups launched an uprising against the Khartoum government.

The government responded with a scorched-earth campaign, enlisting the help of a militia of Arab nomadic tribes in the region against the innocent civilians of Darfur.

Since February 2003, the Sudanese government in Khartoum and the government-sponsored Janjaweed militia have used rape, displacement, organized starvation, threats against aid workers and mass murder. Violence, disease, and displacement continue to kill thousands of innocent Darfurians every month.

Americans have a particularly important role to play in supporting peace in Darfur. The US government has been proactive in speaking out in support of the people of Darfur, but there is still much work that needs to be done. The United States and international governments have yet to take the actions needed to end this genocide.

Long-term peace in Darfur requires that the government of Sudan, the Janjaweed militia forces and the rebel groups of Darfur find a way to resolve their political and economic disputes. The international community managed to broker a peace deal in May 2006, but violence in Darfur actually increased in the wake of this deal.

Thousands of innocent civilians continue to die from murder, disease and starvation every month. Today, millions of displaced civilians living in refugee camps are in dire need of international support as the violence continues.

At this time, human security is the highest priority for the people of Darfur. The world has left the responsibility of providing security to the African Union Peacekeeping Mission in Darfur. As Sally Chin of Refugees International has noted, the world has given the African Union "the responsibility to protect, but not the power to protect."

We must now work to ensure that the world fulfills its responsibility to protect the civilians of Darfur.

For the latest news from Darfur, check out the Genocide Intervention Network's Darfur News Briefs.

Short Film on Darfur

The film was produced by the Genocide Intervention Network. We encourage you to share it.

http://www.darfurscores.org/darfur

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidans_mama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM

I have known about the crisis in Darfur for about 3 years now.  The actor, Don Cheadle helped me get a better understanding of what is going on there.  There is a site called instantkarma.org, that gives you some background on the conflict, the victims, etc.  There are videos on you tube.  Don Cheadle also co-wrote a book called, Not On Our Watch, it speaks of Darfur as well.  There is a site where the cofounders are Don Cheadle, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and some others that discuss Darfur as well.  George Clooney even asked the Obama administration to help end the conflict.  The NAACP chapter I belong to has held in events in recent past to raise awareness about Darfur.  We are planning another event.  JET, Essence, and Ebony Magazines have spoken about the conflict. 

As to why people don't know about this war or don't care about it, I don't know, I have my theories.  In my community, we know about Darfur, there is some local organizations here that have programs set up so people can donate and become more aware of what is going on there, so that they can pass the word onto other people.

Again, IDK, they talk about it here.

savedarfur.org is one of my fave sites to visit for up to date information on what people are doing nationally in regards to the crisis in darfur.

Darfur can't wait.

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Thank you I will check in it.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Its good to know I am not the only one wondering why this place has Darfur has been ignored by us.  I have been aware of it for sometime and have been having trouble understanding why America isn't there trying to help them that also want our help.  But sadly I also think that our government does not help anyone unless they feel there is something in it for them monetarily. 

Talee
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Quoting lbranta:

Its good to know I am not the only one wondering why this place has Darfur has been ignored by us.  I have been aware of it for sometime and have been having trouble understanding why America isn't there trying to help them that also want our help.  But sadly I also think that our government does not help anyone unless they feel there is something in it for them monetarily

I think this too...

I am very ignorant when it comes to wars in Africa...thank you for posting this.

psychessun
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM

do they have oil?

no?  just goats?

eh, who cares.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Quoting lbranta:

Its good to know I am not the only one wondering why this place has Darfur has been ignored by us.  I have been aware of it for sometime and have been having trouble understanding why America isn't there trying to help them that also want our help.  But sadly I also think that our government does not help anyone unless they feel there is something in it for them monetarily. 

America is already fighting 2 wars.

They'd be fools to go in, unilaterally, however nasty the situation.

A better question is:  why hasn't the world intervened ?

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I do care what is going on there.  However, if we got involved there, the same thing would happen that did when we got involved in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Liberals were for both of those wars until soldiers started dying.  You will be for the cause until our soldiers start dying, too.  

I think it is a worthy cause, however, when liberals can't even support the army on the two wars that the enemy is fighting us, why do you want to get involved in another one?

a wedding website

psychessun
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

if you can't make DVD players or pull oil out of the ground no one cares about it.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

No you can't make that assumption.  You don't know where I stand on what issue's much anyway not really.  Maybe some people might wish we would be more selective in the wars we get ourselves into, like maybe if we must get into one and our own people die for that war let it be one where they actually want our help?

Quoting MrsRStewart:

I do care what is going on there.  However, if we got involved there, the same thing would happen that did when we got involved in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Liberals were for both of those wars until soldiers started dying.  You will be for the cause until our soldiers start dying, too.  

I think it is a worthy cause, however, when liberals can't even support the army on the two wars that the enemy is fighting us, why do you want to get involved in another one?

AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lbranta:

Great post and the question asked above is quite valid.  The US is "damned if we do and damned if we don't."  We are poking our collective noses into everyone else's business, according to many.  Then again, we are indifferent if we don 't intervene.  I do believe that we should help the people in Africa.  I'm not sure if we have the military presence it would require right now to do it on our own.  This is something that needs to discussed with the UN leaders and a plan of action should be developed that involves cooperation  (financial and military aid) with other countries.  This should not fall completely on the US.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)