Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Muslim Question.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hello ladies!

I was at my moms house yesterday, and was making lunch for the kids. She had been on vacation all week, so all she had were Hebrew National hot dogs. While I was making them, my 8yo son, noticed the word Kosher on the label, and asked me what that meant. I explained it, to the best of my ability, and threw in that Muslims also had the same views on Pork.  To which he told me that a classmate of his told him that if he were to eat pork, he would die.

I figured that Zach had mis-understood, and told him that by eating pork, it would be like breaking a promise to God, and that is a very big deal. The conversation dropped.

Later on, I was talking with my mother-in-law about our conversation, and she corrected me. A woman that she had worked closely with, for many years, was a very devout Muslim. She had also told my MIL that she would quite literally die, if she were to eat pork. To the extent that if there is even a question in her mind, that the food may have been even slightly exposed to pork, she would not even touch it.

I understand the devoutness, and being strict with food laws. I am curious though, is it really a Muslim belief, that to eat pork will cause death? Also, do Muslims also follow the laws about no shellfish, and the like? I didn't know how to answer that part of my sons question...

Thanks!

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Yes eating pork or any pork byproducts is huge deal. It comes down to crossing the line of being a Muslim and not being a Muslim that is how big of a deal it is.

Now of course it can happen that one eats pork or a byproduct by accident not knowing and without intention of eating it.

Pork is only permitted when one is on the brink of starvation to the point of death and there is no other choice but to eat it.

The same goes for alcohol or any byproducts of alcohol which is not the case in a kosher (Jewish) diet as it is in a halal (Islamic) approved diet.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Thanks. What about the shellfish part? How closely do Kosher and Halal resemble eachother?

muslimah
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Thanks. What about the shellfish part? How closely do Kosher and Halal resemble eachother?

Muslims can eat shell fish. It is said that because the salt water is continuously flushing through there body that it cleans them. The only meat that Muslims are forbidden to eat in addition to pork are animals that are carnivals and eat meat themselves such as dogs, tiger, lions, cats of any kind and any other animal that eats meat.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Muslims can eat shell fish. It is said that because the salt water is continuously flushing through there body that it cleans them. The only meat that Muslims are forbidden to eat in addition to pork are animals that are carnivals and eat meat themselves such as dogs, tiger, lions, cats of any kind and any other animal that eats meat.

Interesting, thank you!

muslimah
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Interesting, thank you!

Sorry for the typo error. I meant to say carnivores not carnivals, lol. I came back to edit it but you had already quoted me.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I have a stupid question. I always heard that it was OK for Jewish people to eat pork as long as it was properly blessed by a Rabbi first. Is that true?  

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
muslimah
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Quoting resamerie:

I have a stupid question. I always heard that it was OK for Jewish people to eat pork as long as it was properly blessed by a Rabbi first. Is that true?  

Being a Muslim who is only concerned with what is halal for me I am not educated on kosher diets or the religion enough to answer that question but I have never heard of such except through the modern day reformed Jews who don't necessarily take the Torah word for word.

Perhaps it is better to let a Jew answer this question.

Cynthje
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Does that mean that muslims don't eat carnivorous fish either?

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Interesting, thank you!

Sorry for the typo error. I meant to say carnivores not carnivals, lol. I came back to edit it but you had already quoted me.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Quoting resamerie:

I am not Jewish, but it is my understanding that a Rabbi can never bless anything that is against dietary laws. I have known many Jews that don't keep Kosher, but they are very aware of it.

Talee
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Wow interesting...

I was brought up Seventh Day Adventist...we were vegetarian early on...later on slacked off and ate some meats. Pork and any by-products were a no no. I remember my mom being very careful about eating out and lard being in the food. Shellfish etc were a no no. Bottom feeders such as duck, catfish were a no no....

I am no longer SDA but I never did acquire a taste for pork unless it is honey ham or bacon ....ugh bacon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)