Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standish Michigan And Guantanamo Bay Detaniees

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

This probably going to be of interest of Michigan Moms but would like everyones input~

I live in small town Michigan a couple hours from Standish Michigan.  They have closed the jail/prison there and so many lost there jobs. The government wanted to bring the Guantanamo BAy Detainees there but the town fought that as they dont want them there.  They keep mentioning on the news that Standish is still being considered.  Im wondering if anyone else thinks that they are waiting for the town to flounder and become more desperate for work before slipping the detainees in? 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hsteele
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:43 AM

I am just wondering why people are so against the gitmo detainees coming into the states. What do you all think is going to happen that the "normal" psychos in prisons wouldn't do.

'

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Rise up this morning, smile at the rising sun; Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep; Singing sweet songs, a melody pure and true; Singing, this is my message to you-ou-ou; Singing Don't worry, about a thing; Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

mommibee
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Whoa..this is messed up...I live 30 miles north of Standish, MI.  I heard something about a prison closing, but I never new that they wanted to bring GBD to Standish.  Seems kind of strange since it is such a small town.

AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Quoting hsteele:

I am just wondering why people are so against the gitmo detainees coming into the states. What do you all think is going to happen that the "normal" psychos in prisons wouldn't do.

'

Perhaps people are fearful that, since many of these people are allegedly tied to terrorist groups, there might be repercussions for the cities or towns that are detaining them in their prisons?   That's the objection that many are raising about having the terrorist trials in NYC.

hsteele
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Gitmo has yet to be attacked, why would these prisons be attacked? And if there were a risk of the towns being attacked, how is it fair to subject the citizens of Cuba to that kind of risk for our prisoners when we are not willing to face that risk ourselves?

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

Quoting hsteele:

'

Perhaps people are fearful that, since many of these people are allegedly tied to terrorist groups, there might be repercussions for the cities or towns that are detaining them in their prisons?   That's the objection that many are raising about having the terrorist trials in NYC.

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Rise up this morning, smile at the rising sun; Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep; Singing sweet songs, a melody pure and true; Singing, this is my message to you-ou-ou; Singing Don't worry, about a thing; Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Quoting hsteele:

Gitmo has yet to be attacked, why would these prisons be attacked? And if there were a risk of the towns being attacked, how is it fair to subject the citizens of Cuba to that kind of risk for our prisoners when we are not willing to face that risk ourselves?

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

Quoting hsteele:

'

You asked a question and I gave a suggested answer.  I didn't say that I feel it's right.  I'm just saying that, based on what I've read from the people who fear the trials in NY, that might be the reasoning behind the fears in this little Michigan community.  You might remember that it's not the CITIZENS of the US that placed these people in Cuba, it's the government. 

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:51 AM

WOW it amazes me how much power people give these people. They are just men after all. What makes them different from any other. Some of these people were just children when they were taken into custody and were taken under suspicion not proof. Seriously, I have the worst of the worst for my state just one town over ...these criminals have been convicted and will never be out from behind bars again. In fact, only one person has ever been released from this prison. We don't give this much power to a regular prisoner why give it to these.

muslimah
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I live in the Metro Detroit area of Michigan and have not heard of this or of Standish for that matter but I don't see what the problem is, they gotta go somewhere.

I figure it like this, the U.S. arrested and detained them so yes it should be the U.S. responsibility to house/detain them rather than push the problem off on another country.

AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Quoting stormcris:

WOW it amazes me how much power people give these people. They are just men after all. What makes them different from any other. Some of these people were just children when they were taken into custody and were taken under suspicion not proof. Seriously, I have the worst of the worst for my state just one town over ...these criminals have been convicted and will never be out from behind bars again. In fact, only one person has ever been released from this prison. We don't give this much power to a regular prisoner why give it to these.

I don't disagree with you.  I live near a max security prison in upstate NY.  Life goes on as normal, every day.  The OP asked WHY we think people might be opposed.  I gave that answer, based on another post about why people don't think the terror trials should take place in NY.  People are fearful of the very word, "Terrorist."  Is it rational?  Perhaps not. 

Personally, in an economically challenged town such as this place in Michigan, I might think that they would welcome the jobs to the area.

cjcharlie1959
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Yes, I have heard that.  I also heard Obama wants to eliminate Gitmo and return the detainees to whatever country they came from. (that I am not too sure if that would be a good idea)  The few selected that would remain incarcerated, we would need a place to put them. 

pros~more revenue/jobs, got to update the jail or build a new one. We talking BIG bucks

con~lose your anominity as a small town; get military protection and problems.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Right. I was responding directly to the OP. It seems to be fear to me that is the reasoning as I have seen in other posts. I completely understood your previous response and agree. I would think they would welcome the jobs as well.

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

Quoting stormcris:

I don't disagree with you.  I live near a max security prison in upstate NY.  Life goes on as normal, every day.  The OP asked WHY we think people might be opposed.  I gave that answer, based on another post about why people don't think the terror trials should take place in NY.  People are fearful of the very word, "Terrorist."  Is it rational?  Perhaps not. 

Personally, in an economically challenged town such as this place in Michigan, I might think that they would welcome the jobs to the area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)