Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoohas, Cookies and chachas

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM
  • 28 Replies

What do you call the private parts around your children? Do you use the correct terminology? Do you know the correct terminology? Do you think its important that your kids know the correct words or is it a matter of age appropriateness? What about he breasts?

We (my daughter and I) call our girly parts a hoo ha, I can't remember where I got that from, although we do occasionally use Vagina. We call a penis a penis. For some reason we've never come up with a cutesy name for that lol, but I do call the testicles noonoos. I have no idea where i got that from. I have used it since well before I had children. lol Our breasts are Boobies, Aria does say boobs every once in a while.

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Rise up this morning, smile at the rising sun; Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep; Singing sweet songs, a melody pure and true; Singing, this is my message to you-ou-ou; Singing Don't worry, about a thing; Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM

We call them the real names. I honestly dont understand why we wouldnt. I know grown women (IRL) who cannot sat vagina or penis. Like they get all giggly and embarassed about it.  I dont get it.

hsteele
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Its not that I am not embarrassed ot use the real words, its just they are too technical and not as fun.

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Rise up this morning, smile at the rising sun; Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep; Singing sweet songs, a melody pure and true; Singing, this is my message to you-ou-ou; Singing Don't worry, about a thing; Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

hsteele
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Many people don't realize that the Vagina is not the outer part. The vagina is on the inside of your body. The outside is the Vulva. Most of us use the term vagina generically when we are trying to sound grown up and use the right words but we aren't actually calling it by the right words. Do you ever tell your daughter to wipe her vulva? I am ignorant, guess I didn't pay much attention in health class and never knew all of this, so I thought I would share a little female anatomy in case you are all interested. Its pretty technical. This is from kidshealth.org.

About the Female Reproductive System

...Unlike the male, the human female has a reproductive system located entirely in the pelvis. The external part of the female reproductive organs is called the vulva, which means covering. Located between the legs, the vulva covers the opening to the vagina and other reproductive organs located inside the body.

The fleshy area located just above the top of the vaginal opening is called the mons pubis. Two pairs of skin flaps called the labia (which means lips) surround the vaginal opening. The clitoris, a small sensory organ, is located toward the front of the vulva where the folds of the labia join. Between the labia are openings to the urethra (the canal that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body) and vagina. Once girls become sexually mature, the outer labia and the mons pubis are covered by pubic hair.

A female's internal reproductive organs are the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.

The vagina is a muscular, hollow tube that extends from the vaginal opening to the uterus. The vagina is about 3 to 5 inches (8 to 12 centimeters) long in a grown woman. Because it has muscular walls, it can expand and contract. This ability to become wider or narrower allows the vagina to accommodate something as slim as a tampon and as wide as a baby. The vagina's muscular walls are lined with mucous membranes, which keep it protected and moist.

The vagina serves three purposes:

1. It's where the penis is inserted during sexual intercourse.
  2. It's the pathway that a baby takes out of a woman's body during childbirth, called the birth canal.
  3. It provides the route for the menstrual blood (the period) to leave the body from the uterus.

A thin sheet of tissue with one or more holes in it called the hymen partially covers the opening of the vagina. Hymens are often different from female to female. Most women find their hymens have stretched or torn after their first sexual experience, and the hymen may bleed a little (this usually causes little, if any, pain). Some women who have had sex don't have much of a change in their hymens, though.

The vagina connects with the uterus, or womb, at the cervix (which means neck). The cervix has strong, thick walls. The opening of the cervix is very small (no wider than a straw), which is why a tampon can never get lost inside a girl's body. During childbirth, the cervix can expand to allow a baby to pass.

The uterus is shaped like an upside-down pear, with a thick lining and muscular walls — in fact, the uterus contains some of the strongest muscles in the female body. These muscles are able to expand and contract to accommodate a growing fetus and then help push the baby out during labor. When a woman isn't pregnant, the uterus is only about 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) long and 2 inches (5 centimeters) wide. ....

Heather
The Witchy Momma

psychmama
by Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM

I know! My little sister is like that. She is 15 and we purposefully say penis around her and she just cracks up and blushes.

We also used to play the penis game in college. A small, Christian conservative college. It involved someone saying penis very quietly and the person who hears it says it louder until someone is forced to scream PENIS!! lol. It was hilarious. Usually played during chapel or lunch/dinner. LOL :)

Quoting RheaF:

We call them the real names. I honestly dont understand why we wouldnt. I know grown women (IRL) who cannot sat vagina or penis. Like they get all giggly and embarassed about it.  I dont get it.

elly25
by Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM

My son is seven years old and even though he knows that proper names for his genitalia he still prefers to call it his binker or peanut.He knows that proper name for a girls as well,but he still calls it a hoo-ha or a koochie.Same goes for his butt.He calls it his dunka even though he knows that it's a butt.My daughter is 22 months old and she calls it her hoo-ha or "china" (that is her way of saying vagina).She calls her butt either a butt or dunka.My daughter doesn't know the difference between a boy and a girl yet.Other then her big brother pee's stnading up and she can't.

owls

RheaF
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Yep. I know what my body parts are called. And yes when she is older I will tell her what everything is called. But she is 4 and calling it her Vagina is just easier for her to understand. I have never called my body parts or DH's cutesy names. But hey do what you want. Just try not to make them feel embarassed or ashamed about them.

Quoting hsteele:

Many people don't realize that the Vagina is not the outer part. The vagina is on the inside of your body. The outside is the Vulva. Most of us use the term vagina generically when we are trying to sound grown up and use the right words but we aren't actually calling it by the right words. Do you ever tell your daughter to wipe her vulva? I am ignorant, guess I didn't pay much attention in health class and never knew all of this, so I thought I would share a little female anatomy in case you are all interested. Its pretty technical. This is from kidshealth.org.

About the Female Reproductive System

...Unlike the male, the human female has a reproductive system located entirely in the pelvis. The external part of the female reproductive organs is called the vulva, which means covering. Located between the legs, the vulva covers the opening to the vagina and other reproductive organs located inside the body.

The fleshy area located just above the top of the vaginal opening is called the mons pubis. Two pairs of skin flaps called the labia (which means lips) surround the vaginal opening. The clitoris, a small sensory organ, is located toward the front of the vulva where the folds of the labia join. Between the labia are openings to the urethra (the canal that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body) and vagina. Once girls become sexually mature, the outer labia and the mons pubis are covered by pubic hair.

A female's internal reproductive organs are the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.

The vagina is a muscular, hollow tube that extends from the vaginal opening to the uterus. The vagina is about 3 to 5 inches (8 to 12 centimeters) long in a grown woman. Because it has muscular walls, it can expand and contract. This ability to become wider or narrower allows the vagina to accommodate something as slim as a tampon and as wide as a baby. The vagina's muscular walls are lined with mucous membranes, which keep it protected and moist.

The vagina serves three purposes:

1. It's where the penis is inserted during sexual intercourse.
  2. It's the pathway that a baby takes out of a woman's body during childbirth, called the birth canal.
  3. It provides the route for the menstrual blood (the period) to leave the body from the uterus.

A thin sheet of tissue with one or more holes in it called the hymen partially covers the opening of the vagina. Hymens are often different from female to female. Most women find their hymens have stretched or torn after their first sexual experience, and the hymen may bleed a little (this usually causes little, if any, pain). Some women who have had sex don't have much of a change in their hymens, though.

The vagina connects with the uterus, or womb, at the cervix (which means neck). The cervix has strong, thick walls. The opening of the cervix is very small (no wider than a straw), which is why a tampon can never get lost inside a girl's body. During childbirth, the cervix can expand to allow a baby to pass.

The uterus is shaped like an upside-down pear, with a thick lining and muscular walls — in fact, the uterus contains some of the strongest muscles in the female body. These muscles are able to expand and contract to accommodate a growing fetus and then help push the baby out during labor. When a woman isn't pregnant, the uterus is only about 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) long and 2 inches (5 centimeters) wide. ....

lucyclairemama
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Real names.  If anything should ever happen to my child, I would want her to be able to articulate exactly what happened.  I used to work as a victim counselor for a police department and, in one particular sexual assault, there ended up being no conviction because the victim had not properly referred to her private parts.  The lawyer convinced the jury that it was impossible to determine that a rape had occurred because of the victim's outcry (statement). 

lucyclairemama
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Not to mention, until they come up with cutsey names for knees and elbows, we will treat all body parts the same in this respect.  I don't find it appropriate to have "cutsey" names for these body parts at all.  I just don't see the point. 

hsteele
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed or ashamed about it.

Quoting RheaF:

Yep. I know what my body parts are called. And yes when she is older I will tell her what everything is called. But she is 4 and calling it her Vagina is just easier for her to understand. I have never called my body parts or DH's cutesy names. But hey do what you want. Just try not to make them feel embarassed or ashamed about them.

Heather
The Witchy Momma

hsteele
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I guess we have to "agree to disagree" because I don't find it harmful to have the "cutesy" names. I would never use a food word for it like "cookie" but as long as the child also knows the real terminology, I don't see the harm.

Quoting lucyclairemama:

Not to mention, until they come up with cutsey names for knees and elbows, we will treat all body parts the same in this respect.  I don't find it appropriate to have "cutsey" names for these body parts at all.  I just don't see the point. 

Heather
The Witchy Momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)