Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (12/1): Is it our right to know about the private life of Tiger Woods?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM
  • 54 Replies

Up in Tiger's business: Is it our right to know?

He could say: "None of your business," even though that's not the way to go...Mike Lupica, New York Daily News sports columnist, on Tiger Woods, his minor auto accident and rumors swirling around it.

Most celebrity news/gossip is none of our business, even though the expression "None of your business" seems quaintly out of date. Sure many of us want to know what precipitated the weird, low-speed crash outside Tiger Woods' home over the holiday weekend -- I've certainly been poring over the panting reports posted to rumor-friendly web sites -- but do I have an informal right to know? Do I have justification for my desire to know about Woods' marital travails, if any?

To the extent that celebrities trade on their images and private personalities to expand their fame and wealth, the public does have a legitimate interest in their doings. If you are rewarding  celebrities with your attention and with goodwill directed to their sponsors based on your overall opinion of them as created by them and their image makers, then you have a defensible interest in the truth that lies behind those images.

The implicit bargain of modern celebrity is that it's a battle between the image makers and the image wreckers -- the celebrity is no longer able to draw lines between public and private that the public will respect.

With athletes this is less true than with, say, actors. Tiger Woods' ability to earn millions of dollars in tournament prize money every year is not dependent on what you or anyone else thinks of him.   For the most part he has avoided making his private life public and kept the journalistic focus on matters related to golf. His endorsement deals trade on his enormous talent and legendary focus on the links, not on whether or not he's a jolly paterfamilias.

In this case, for him, "None of your business" is a defensible answer and, under the circumstances, probably exactly the way to go.

Does the public have a right to know about the private lives of athletes?

What about celebrities or politicians?

Do these public figures give up their right to privacy in exchange for fame and/or riches?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:52 AM

I think that they should have a right to privacy just as any other citizen. Some of them are better at keeping their lives private and others just seem unable to do so. I would hate to have my life scrutinized to the degree many of them have to put up with.

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
             Group Mod

tericared
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:54 AM

I think they have a right to their privacy just as we do...It is no ones business. He has always been a very private person.... 

Join us on

Group Mod

dsptchmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM

I think the amount of privacy a celeb gets is partially affected by their own actions. If you want attention you are going to get it.

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I heard someone say earlier that it is none of our business to the extent that UNLESS a crime was committed...... then it is our business.

He seems like a stand-up guy, so I hope life gets back to normal for he and his family asap. 

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I don't think it's anybody's business. BUT, the question I would like to ask, as far as seeing the story unfold on the news, all I kept hearing is that the police kept waiting to talk to him and they kept being put off. It might not be the public's business, but he should have answered to the police in a timely manner. 

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM

He doesn't have to talk to them, though.

Quoting resamerie:

I don't think it's anybody's business. BUT, the question I would like to ask, as far as seeing the story unfold on the news, all I kept hearing is that the police kept waiting to talk to him and they kept being put off. It might not be the public's business, but he should have answered to the police in a timely manner. 

Join us on

Group Mod

isaiahsmomma86
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Nope, not anyone's business. Unless he committed some crime, he doesn't have to divulge his personal life.

Heather- I am a  vaxing, non CIO, disposable diapering, formula feeding, stay at home mommy to Isaiah and happily married to the best hubby ever, Patrick.

mistynights234
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Does the public have a right to know about the private lives of athletes? I dont think so.

What about celebrities or politicians? I think that Politicians need back ground checks. 

Do these public figures give up their right to privacy in exchange for fame and/or riches? Well in a way when your in the public eye you do take the chance of losing your privacy.  But, people like Tiger Woods works on keeping his life private and his family out of the public eye.  His wishes should be respected. 

Mergath
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM

More importantly, why do we care?  I've got far better things to do than anxiously await updates on celebrity minutiae.  I'll never understand why major news networks cover things like this for days on end.  I went to glance at CNN.com the other day, and four (!) of their top stories were on Tiger Woods.  Which is when I switched to CNN International.  Much better than the US version.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

cjcharlie1959
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Quoting mistynights234:

Does the public have a right to know about the private lives of athletes?I dont think so.

What about celebrities or politicians? I think that Politicians need back ground checks. 

Do these public figures give up their right to privacy in exchange for fame and/or riches? Well in a way when your in the public eye you do take the chance of losing your privacy.  But, people like Tiger Woods works on keeping his life private and his family out of the public eye.  His wishes should be respected. 

I agree to some what here but I would like to add my own spin to this. 

Athletes and other famous figures deserve their privacy. The kind of privacy that prevents things like the Pavarotti  from sneaking over garden walls or going into a persons house to take pictures of an individual who is at home.  However, if a famous figure goes out gets drunk, high, or does something illegal (i.e. dog fighting) then they are putting themselves out there  for scrutiny and deserves it.

Political figures does matter if they get a background check because most of them are in as society defines them as criminals or not upstanding citizens as we are led to believe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)